Chuchill and Bike Insurance Moan

Soldato
I tried to add my newly built mountain bike to the house insurance today. I told them the make and other details and wanted it insured for £1600. They're policy only allows products up to a value of £1500 so that was no problem. I was then asked if I had built it myself or if was bought complete. I told them I built it myself and they then told me I could't insure it.
Apparently due to "complications with the parts" they could not do it. They described my bike as a kit car. I explained that all bikes are bought as kit and assembled with diffenerent parts from different manufacturers but no joy. I am a bit miffed to be honest.

Do Churchill do the same if you build your own computer?

Hmmm, I've been looking at getting my bike insured and that looks like just the ticket, thanks Raymond. Loads of other places want ridiculous money for insuring my precious :(

I blame all the insurance fraud that goes on with bikes - seems it's rampant.

Seraphim said:
Hmmm, I've been looking at getting my bike insured and that looks like just the ticket, thanks Raymond. Loads of other places want ridiculous money for insuring my precious :(

I blame all the insurance fraud that goes on with bikes - seems it's rampant.

They do want you to use an approved lock from a list, reasonable I think otherwise people would be locking up their bikes with rubberbands and claiming insurance when it get stolen.

Are there any home insurers that also have a decent bike cover policy included? Its just that I have already had my old bike insured with cycleguard, and that was fine, but it'd be easier if it was included with my home cover.

Hmmm i would look into getting a new bike insured but the two bikes at this house are sat in the shed..with no lock on it :o

When i get my new build thought up and built it will be chained to me!

Raymond Lin said:
https://www.pavilioninsurance.com/payment/products/quote.asp?product=Cycle&promCode=

You can insure your bike here, it does ask for the code on the frame and the make of the bike but that's it. I insure mine for £1400 and it's just under £10 a month.

jesus tenner a month, sod that, another 120quid a year. up your house insurance policy, surely it cant cost another 120quid just to get enough cover on your bike. mines insured for 800 i think, no problems there. but havent had trouble insuring bikes in the past that were in excess of 1k about 10years ago.

Back
Top Bottom