Cinema Standards Declining..?

Soldato
OP
By the way, I don't know how you missed the death of celluloid exhibition but err.. that happened a long time ago :p

Did say it was a while since we'd been, though not that long - a bit of digging seems to indicate use of celluloid died out around 2011/2012. :)

Regardless of the projection system then, when the show is well presented I agree the experience can be better than at home. We often found the cinemas in the US and Canada to be better. We saw Revenge Of the Sith in Calgary back in 2005 - screen was floor to ceiling and the width of the auditorium. It was almost as good as an Imax display, really felt in the action!

"Hey mate, don't be a dick"

Probably a relief not to feel the battery acid outside the building later on, always the risk when you remonstrate with oafs like that.

Soldato
Depends on the cinema. I've been to some really good Vue & Odeon screens. Sharp image with digital projector and the latest dolby surround system. (Although this Odeon was an imax screen)

I also went to a crappy little Odeon which was a small blurry screen so it does depend where you are.

Soldato
Well there's an Empire cinema over at Greenbridge, we may try that - though last time we were there fairly certain the projection was off and I had to go out into the foyer to get someone to fix it. The only advantage of Cineworld is that it's only a 5 min walk from where we live.

So if it's all automated/digital does that mean they are in fact "projecting" the movies off a disc rather than traditional celluloid reels?

With "Halloween" I had wondered if the black bars were to add a retro feel but it does sound more though the staff CBA to adjust the shutters.

The problem is Swindon doesn't have a good company running a Cinema there. (Typical Swindon really, it never gets any investment, and just makes it even ******).

Empire Cinema in Greenbridge has been pants for the last 10 years, even after they did a refresh of the decor.

I believe the one over in West Swindon might be owned by Cineworld, but that's been there for so many years, it wouldn't surprise me that nothing has been refreshed in 10+ years.

It really needs Vue or Odeon to set up there and make some investment.

Didn't a new cinema open in town? Where the old regent circus college used to be? You might find that one a bit nicer.

Soldato
OP
Didn't a new cinema open in town? Where the old regent circus college used to be? You might find that one a bit nicer.

As noted the new cinema in town is also a Cineworld hence my musing about trying to deter usage at the West Swindon location. Would be okay for a matinee showing but Swindon after dark is even less savoury than the day time - just walking from work to the car park after late turn you are watching your back constantly.

Soldato
is there any behind the scenes stuff detailing the hardware in use in the cinemas?

would be quite an interesting one i'd imagine

Soldato
Plenty of housing developers been investing there lately.
Loads of new builds... they just 'forgot' to tell us about it before connecting the water, and are now whining that there are flooding problems all over the place!!

Was thinking along the lines of more investment for commercial/business rather than residential.

Swindon's town centre is an absolute dump, and last time i went through there i think they had more shops closed/empty than open. There are very few leading retail brands that have actually set up shop there - not to mention with HoF closing it's store, and Debenhams possibly closing theirs. Essentially the whole town centre needs bulldozing and starting from scratch. I have family/friends living in Swindon and they wouldn't even entertain the idea of shopping locally, and would much rather visit Bristol/Bath/Reading/Oxford.

Soldato
OP
The out of town shopping centres aren't much better. West Swindon dominated by ChAvsda, both banks and the estate agent have gone. North Swindon used to have a few quality shops, decent bookshop (Barnes & Noble ISTR) but gone.

Back OT, definitely thinking of a drive up the M4 to Winnersh and sample the cinema there - missus wants to see the new Fantastic Beasts in a few weeks time.

Associate
I find it depends on the screen room aswell.
Generally I find that their screening room 5-9 will have slightly smaller screen but the film actually looks better in those than their main 1-4 screens.
I booked to watch Justice League at my local cineworld "super screen" and left bit better because the film did not fit the whole screen and it looked letter boxed.
I watched Pokemon I choose you movie in cinema and the film itself appeared all slanted in angle similar to the Star wars roll in intro.
Recently watched Christopher Robin and A Simple Favor on their standard screen and it was still slightly letterboxed and those was in room between 1-4.

Soldato
My local cinema is a converted barn which seats about 80 people with a screen around 18 ft wide. Equipment probably last updated in 1980!
There's always something worse than what you have !

Back
Top Bottom