Circular saw quick check....

Caporegime
OP
That dinky little saw in the OP is for cutting things like floorboards without going thru the joist/pipes underneath.

Following this thread with interest as I'm also going to need kit for sleepers, slabs and big timber when we landscape in the next few months.

It'll be fine for most wood work, it won't go through the sleeper obviously but will get most of it done probably, guess that's why I asked :)

I'll probably get something like the below, If o get a mounted one like a mitre saw I don't that will help at all.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-r185ccsl240-1200w-185mm-electric-circular-saw-220-240v/285fj

Something like this.

Going bigger carries much more cost. This would get you 65mm through, so you'd need to flip it and cut again.

Or you could hire a big one.

Associate
No one these days should consider buying a circular saw without first taking a look at the Plunge track saws which cost about the same, but are so much better. A fully enclosed blade where dust is reduced to a minimum providing you use extraction, and the ability to cut in a complete straight line starting wherever you wish on a board. Everything a circular saw will do and more besides.

Oh & cutting real railway sleepers is something you shouldn't really be doing with power tools. The chances of comming across something embedded in the wood such as a nail or scres or even a bolt is such a major risk to the person doing it, most wood yards refuse to cut them.

Associate
Yeah, a plunge/track saw is a game changer. I bought one a few years ago and it gets loads of use. That said, I still use my circular saw a lot too, they both have their uses. I think as a first saw for someone a 185mm (ish) coreded one is a good place to start. Then you can add more saws as you need them. I have just sold my old 185mm evolution saw that was my first buy many years ago. I now have a 165mm 18v saw, a 165mm plunge saw and a 235mm 240v saw. I couldn't justify keeping the evolution as well!

I think when most people refer to sleepers, they just mean chunky bits of wood. Re-claimed railway sleepers are more hassle than they are worth.

Dave

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, a plunge/track saw is a game changer. I bought one a few years ago and it gets loads of use. That said, I still use my circular saw a lot too, they both have their uses. I think as a first saw for someone a 185mm (ish) coreded one is a good place to start. Then you can add more saws as you need them. I have just sold my old 185mm evolution saw that was my first buy many years ago. I now have a 165mm 18v saw, a 165mm plunge saw and a 235mm 240v saw. I couldn't justify keeping the evolution as well!

I think when most people refer to sleepers, they just mean chunky bits of wood. Re-claimed railway sleepers are more hassle than they are worth.

Dave

Any links to what you mentioned? :)

Soldato
I use a Festool track saw, it’s a quality piece of kit but it’s also pretty expensive.

Don’t underestimate the cost of the required tracks for these, they can add a fair amount of cost.

I have the 2x1.4m evolution track kit (£80) which is about as cheap as they come and a festool copy. It’s ‘fine’ but the joint isn’t the smoothest and the other pieces not great in terms of quality. The 1.4m lengths can be a bit long for shorter cuts so I’d suggest getting some shorter pieces as well.

Only having a track saw can be a bit of a pain if you just need to do some quick rough cuts so I do have an ancient cheap circular saw as well.

Associate
For a first circular saw on a budget I don't think you could go to far wrong with this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-r185ccsl240-1200w-185mm-electric-circular-saw-220-240v/285fj

Do you need it to be corded or cordless, what is you budget and will it get used a lot or just for the odd job?

I currently have:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcs391-165mm-18v-li-ion-xr-cordless-circular-saw-bare/23296
An old Titan 235mm 240v saw which I bought second hand. It doesn't get used often, but is hand to have as it's 85mm depth of cut is useful for certain jobs
And a now discontinued Titan Plunge saw and track, I have a 48tooth blade for it for cutting plywood and a 24 tooth for general use. It makes really clean cuts and was an absolute steal as I got it with 2 bits of track for £50 new. It runs on any other brand of tracks which is handy as you can just buy whichever is on offer at the time! I think the Macalister one looks the same that they sell now, but I'm not 100%.

Dave

Associate
You can make your own guides for a circular saw with any sheet wood. Cheap and very accurate.

Track saws are a more accurate and cut cleaner as they have a splinter guard on the track. You can make decent cuts with a circular saw and a straight edge, just not quite as good!

Dave

Caporegime
OP
For a first circular saw on a budget I don't think you could go to far wrong with this:

Do you need it to be corded or cordless, what is you budget and will it get used a lot or just for the odd job?

I currently have:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcs391-165mm-18v-li-ion-xr-cordless-circular-saw-bare/23296
An old Titan 235mm 240v saw which I bought second hand. It doesn't get used often, but is hand to have as it's 85mm depth of cut is useful for certain jobs
And a now discontinued Titan Plunge saw and track, I have a 48tooth blade for it for cutting plywood and a 24 tooth for general use. It makes really clean cuts and was an absolute steal as I got it with 2 bits of track for £50 new. It runs on any other brand of tracks which is handy as you can just buy whichever is on offer at the time! I think the Macalister one looks the same that they sell now, but I'm not 100%.

Dave

That evolution one has been linked twice now, so I'll probably look at that. I believe that one is corded, which is fine.

It will be used for this job (10+ sleepers) then whatever else I need it for in the future.

As much as I lik dewalt i don't particularly want to go down that route of another charger and battery yet, hence why I looked at the Worx stuff (I have the mower and strimmer) but they don't have anything suitable i don't think...cordless anyway, and of I'm going corded I may as well go with anything!

Back
Top Bottom