Cisco router configuration question

Soldato
This is nothing major but it's just a thought.
I was doing some lab work today with the Cisco 2501s. Before I did my labwork I thought i'd setup by clearing the running config and starting a new one with newly assigned IPs to the interfaces. So I did this with the rollover cable and DB9 connector and everything.

One thing that strook me was this (this is not the exact quote but it's pretty close):

JSP>enable
Password: **********
JSP#config t
JSP(config)#interface serial 0 ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy (where x is the IP and y is the subnet mask)
And it came with an error!!!

I can swear it's valid to jump from interface serial 0 to the next command of setting the IP address to the interface?
Instead I had to do:
JSP(config)#interface serial 0
JSP(config-if)#ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Someone shed some light on this?
Cheers :)

Associate
eXSBass said:
This is nothing major but it's just a thought.
I was doing some lab work today with the Cisco 2501s. Before I did my labwork I thought i'd setup by clearing the running config and starting a new one with newly assigned IPs to the interfaces. So I did this with the rollover cable and DB9 connector and everything.

One thing that strook me was this (this is not the exact quote but it's pretty close):

JSP>enable
Password: **********
JSP#config t
JSP(config)#interface serial 0 ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy (where x is the IP and y is the subnet mask)
And it came with an error!!!

I can swear it's valid to jump from interface serial 0 to the next command of setting the IP address to the interface?
Instead I had to do:
JSP(config)#interface serial 0
JSP(config-if)#ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Someone shed some light on this?
Cheers :)

Pix OS 5.x & 6.x expect you to specify interface and IP configuration on one line, 7.x allows you to configure the interface in either manner. Most routers (certainly everything I've come across on 11.x & 12.x) require you to configure the interface in sub-configuration mode.

Back
Top Bottom