Civic Pinking when cold

Associate
Hi,

My P reg civic 1.5i LS I notice is pinking a bit on the first few mins of my journey to work :( , after it’s warmed up the pinking dissapears. Admittedly I don’t know much about more modern engines so I’m not sure whats wrong. Could it be a ‘lazy’ or faulty sensor? Shouldn’t the timing adjust by itself? What sort of cost am i looking at to fix it?

Fire..

Soldato
When you get a pronounced knocking/rattling/pinging under load, such as acceleration in top gear from slower speed.

The process of pinking - also known as knocking, pinging, detonation -in internal combustion engines occurs when fuel in the cylinder is ignited by the firing of the spark plug and smooth burning proceeds but some of the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber explodes before the flame front can reach it, combusting suddenly before the optimum moment of the four-stroke cycle. ...

Soldato
I had this on an old Fiat, I think they they referred to it as an anti-knock sensor and it connected to the engine block.

Sounds just like what you need to get checked/replaced, on an older car like yours it could be the connection to the sensor is just corroded. From what i understand pinking is quite bad for the engine so it's best to get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

Soldato
That engine is a d series I think with no anti knock sensor.

Clean the plugs and you might try an anti coking formula. Change your fuel type to a better or different type possibly.

Check the HT leads are still good, look under the hood in the pitch black with the engine under load if possible. Dont stand in a puddle of water while you do that though :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hominid said:
I had this on an old Fiat, I think they they referred to it as an anti-knock sensor and it connected to the engine block.

Sounds just like what you need to get checked/replaced, on an older car like yours it could be the connection to the sensor is just corroded. From what i understand pinking is quite bad for the engine so it's best to get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

Thanks hominid, the car is up for sale at the moment to be honest it's a nice car that I'm sad to see go but it does have this pinking problem and I guess it will put buyers off a bit if they can hear it, that and the squeaky clutch. Basically just want rid of the car, without taking to big a hit on price, as it will be a carpark at my place otherwise. And I'm defo. not leaving the new car (a CTR) out on the road!

Associate
OP
silversurfer said:
That engine is a d series I think with no anti knock sensor.

Clean the plugs and you might try an anti coking formula. Change your fuel type to a better or different type possibly.

Check the HT leads are still good, look under the hood in the pitch black with the engine under load if possible. Dont stand in a puddle of water while you do that though :eek:

Yeah it's a D15Z6 engine, ok could try that it's got half a tank of fuel left so could put in some cleaner or something, plus will pop off the HT leads and take a look.

Hope that's all thats required :(

Associate
OP
D4VE said:
Try Octane Booster.

Is it an imported car?

No it's not imported, the engine is a european model only I think as it's difficult to find info about it, but it's 115bhp in a 3dr hatch which has suited me for the last 3 years and got me to work and back with no problems at all. Now i'm after something with a bit more kick, hence the CTR :)

Associate
OP
Tim said:
Enjoy the CTR, still havn't stopped smiling when driving mine:D

Thanks will do :). Might take it easy for a few weeks & will feel a bit more relaxed when the old car has sold on. Biggest amount of money I have spent in one go I think so far.

Soldato
my golf had a pinking issue not long ago, it cured it with a new fuel pressure regulator. the vac hose had died all together, and the reg. was stuck in a closed position and was no longer operatable

Back
Top Bottom