Civic Type R FN2?

Associate
Considering buying one as a cheap hack/commuter. Much like my video game playing I'm always behind the times (currently on Assassin's Creed 1.....yes the very first one).

Had a few Honda VTIs in my younger days and the EP3 seems too expensive now for a 14 year old car.

I've read the reviews, I know it's the worst rated UK spec Type R but I still have a hankering over one.

It will need to do the daily commute and replace my 2016 Focus ST however I really cant make my mind up on what to replace it with. The sensible option is an old Type R hack that I can rag when the mood takes me.

Anyone on here own or owned one in the past?

Man of Honour
I've been to look at a lot of these lately at the lower end of the market.

Good:
They don't seem that horrific on fuel if you drive with a feather foot.
Spec isn't bad for the era if you get a GT - auto lights, dual zone climate, cruise, fold in mirrors.
Even at the cheap ones have sparkling performance, VTEC is highly addictive.
No really, honestly, if you haven't really had a VTEC before it's like crack.
Handling is predictable.
Grip levels are good.
Seat cushions are hard wearing but stain easily.
Lot of performance for the money.
Generally reliable.

Bad:
Gearbox can get notchy/dodgy in 3rd.
Ride is a bit crashy but you aren't going to lose any teeth or anything.
Clutch gets lower the more it wears (unlike most cars I've owned) This will make the gearbox feel notchy too, especially 1st/3rd/5th.
Valve clearances need manual adjustment.
They age badly - really badly. Lacquer peel like you wouldn't believe, the paint is soft so it marrs and chips easily, all the plastic trim comes loose, the headlamps cloud over, the bumper paint appears to just blow off in the wind, seat bolsters wear, red trim gets dirty fast.
Expensive to insure for the value/age of the car.
The interior, despite the red stuff, is a pretty dismal place to be. The red dials are supposed to make it sporty but they just look dingy compared to a standard FN2.
Not seen one yet where the wheels are not kerbed to hell.
I don't think the standard brakes are up to much.

Looks like the negatives outweigh the positives on paper but I don't really think that's true.
Just remember that there is a lot of dross in the sub 3k bracket.

Soldato
The above gives you a reasonable idea of what to expect I'd say.

Had my FN2 for around 2.5 years and tbh it was a great car. Now have a focus ST so the other way round from what you're looking at (albeit not directly).

You'll notice a big difference in outright power, especially if your current car is mapped. Ok it's only 50bhp std but the civics gearing means it has really decent pull up to 50/60mph before tailing right off whilst I've always found my focus to feel very capable at higher speeds. If you can find a good car, don't mind the terrible ride (you'll be told eibachs will improve it significantly, they won't) and either buy one with a diff or just accept the characteristics of its traction you'll have a good car for not a lot of money.

I would definitely have another, and I don't think I'd have any worry around it breaking tbh

Associate
I've had the full monty.....EP3, then FN2, now in an FK2.

Agree that EP3's are getting expensive for a good one - to the point that you'd not want to use as a daily (although they will keep going pretty much forever if looked after).

The FN2 however hasn't got to this stage yet (perhaps if won't, who knows).....the FN2 is a good choice for a daily, posts above have pretty much covered the pros/cons. I'd advise trying to find a later model, Honda started to fit LSD's, HID lights etc. in the end of run models, so you'll get the most kit for your money.

I'd not hesitate to get another if I wanted a fun daily car.

Good luck in your hunt!

Soldato
I have owned 2, great cars!

however it will be a big shock coming from a turbo car as they have no low down grunt.

i would have one again, and most likely will do.

you will have to sift through a lot of tat to find a half decent one

Man of Honour
I've been to look at a lot of these lately at the lower end of the market.

Good:
They don't seem that horrific on fuel if you drive with a feather foot.
Spec isn't bad for the era if you get a GT - auto lights, dual zone climate, cruise, fold in mirrors.
Even at the cheap ones have sparkling performance, VTEC is highly addictive.
No really, honestly, if you haven't really had a VTEC before it's like crack.
Handling is predictable.
Grip levels are good.
Seat cushions are hard wearing but stain easily.
Lot of performance for the money.
Generally reliable.

Bad:
Gearbox can get notchy/dodgy in 3rd.
Ride is a bit crashy but you aren't going to lose any teeth or anything.
Clutch gets lower the more it wears (unlike most cars I've owned) This will make the gearbox feel notchy too, especially 1st/3rd/5th.
Valve clearances need manual adjustment.
They age badly - really badly. Lacquer peel like you wouldn't believe, the paint is soft so it marrs and chips easily, all the plastic trim comes loose, the headlamps cloud over, the bumper paint appears to just blow off in the wind, seat bolsters wear, red trim gets dirty fast.
Expensive to insure for the value/age of the car.
The interior, despite the red stuff, is a pretty dismal place to be. The red dials are supposed to make it sporty but they just look dingy compared to a standard FN2.
Not seen one yet where the wheels are not kerbed to hell.
I don't think the standard brakes are up to much.

Looks like the negatives outweigh the positives on paper but I don't really think that's true.
Just remember that there is a lot of dross in the sub 3k bracket.
I've now been driving one of these for a fortnight, and I haven't really changed any of the above opinions.

Additional notes:
  • I'd like the VTEC changeover to be "harsher"
  • The rear spoiler is thoroughly annoying as it not only blocks the rear view, but also reflects streetlamps into the cabin so you think people are flashing you
  • Returning 35mpg on a mixed 45 minute commute of Motorway and B roads with a bit of blasting here and there.
  • So many goddamn bleeping alarms (ignition on, key in, handbrake on, etc etc)
  • Considering it's supposed to have no torque etc I can easily trundle about everywhere in 5th/6th
Even if the FN2 is "everything a Civic Type-R shouldn't be", I'm pretty happy with it. I can't see you regretting the purchase unless you get a really ratty one.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I've now been driving one of these for a fortnight, and I haven't really changed any of the above opinions.

Additional notes:
  • I'd like the VTEC changeover to be "harsher"
  • The rear spoiler is thoroughly annoying as it not only blocks the rear view, but also reflects streetlamps into the cabin so you think people are flashing you
  • Returning 35mpg on a mixed 45 minute commute of Motorway and B roads with a bit of blasting here and there.
  • So many goddamn bleeping alarms (ignition on, key in, handbrake on, etc etc)
  • Considering it's supposed to have no torque etc I can easily trundle about everywhere in 5th/6th
Even if the FN2 is "everything a Civic Type-R shouldn't be", I'm pretty happy with it. I can't see you regretting the purchase unless you get a really ratty one.
Harsher VTEC changeover? Go back to the B series (EK9 / DC2 Integra) for the "real" feel of VTEC. Night and day difference in my opinion; although a good ram air intake (Mugen etc) add a nice amount of sound at crossover, became very addictive on my DC5.

35mpg is pretty decent; I averaged just above 30 in the Integra that had daily thrashings, the 1.8 FN civic I currently use has averaged around 42-43mpg, so you're not far off in economy for a lot more power!

You're definitely right about the beeps, you'll eventually learn to ignore them though... That or I'm losing my hearing... :D

The FN2 as a car in its own right is a good car. It has enough toys, mechanically sound, reasonably economical, fun to throw around and thrash when you need to. The "drawbacks" only become apparent when directly comparing to the previous generations of Type Rs. Personally I think the FN2 moved the in the right direction to modernise the EP3. Though whoever came up with those Rage wheels needs a good talking to!

Associate
OP
I've really struggled to find any decent examples near me. Everyone has been quite rough around the edges despite the ads.

Rattles and noises from every where. Paint seems pretty poor even on the better examples. A few had 3rd gear syncro problems at higher revs. Quite frustrating actually.

Beginning to go off the idea and looking at the newer model now.....still undecided.

Soldato
You should accept that the paint is shocking, so unless the car has been sprayed at the front in the last year or two it's going to look full of chips.

Don't accept cars with synchro issues and they certainly shouldn't be ropey feeling to drive.

If you were ever in the market for an £18k+ car I'm not sure why you even considered these though? The newer car is a totally different proposition

Man of Honour
They shouldn't be rattly or noisy - subframe "click" is a common issue easily sorted and the drop links wear and create a lot of noise but that's also a cheap fix.

A tired clutch can also give you what feels like synchro issues - the bite point gets very close to the floor and you can get baulking when changing gear at full chat. They don't really slip like most worn clutches.

Associate
I’ve had an FN2 for a year and had an EP3 for 4 years with a Golf R for a year in between.

The replies so far have nailed it

It’s a slightly nicer place to be compared to the EP3 due to a few extra niceties like cruise control, auto lights etc

Paint work is shocking, mine is absolutely covered in stone chips as the previous owner lived out in the sticks

Fuel economy isn’t great, I average 20-22mpg with mostly round town driving and it creeps up to low 30s on a longer run

For what you can pick them up for these days they are decent value especially when you look at EP3 prices

If my mileage or type of driving changed I’d probably replace it with something newer and less harsh pretty quickly

Associate
Cars built after April 2010 (and all champ white cars) come with an LSD which is supposed to be a night and day difference in terms of handling. However, a big improvement can still be made on older cars with a fast road setup and eibach progressive lowering springs (improves the ride around town but when you are going flat out around the corners its firmer).

Back
Top Bottom