claiming on travel insurance / unfit to travel

Soldato
I have a holiday booked in 4 weeks but my knee locked up.. Got some stuff in there than needs cutting out.

Insurance company say get a note to say not fit to travel..

Anyone know how easy /hard it is to get declared not fit to travel by a doctor?

Would the doctor just say "sure xray shows stuff in your knee here you go not fit to travel" or would it be more along the lines of "you can walk half a mile who cares if it hurts *** off and go on holiday no note for you"

Waiting on referalls at the moment so don't have a doctor to ask... I know I will have a doctor to ask at some point but interested to know if anyone has any experience of dealing with this.. Its a 2 mile walk to the first hotel which scares the crap out of me at the moment (it's getting better but knowing I have a lump in my knee that's waiting to get stuck and cripple me for a month makes me not want to go abroad until its sorted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
My sole experience with travel insurance claim (Hurricane Katrina) was that irrespective of what they tell you, they'll initially reject the claim because that's what they do. I would ask them to email their advice to you so you have it in writing, otherwise they're likely to deny all knowledge of telling you anything (as they did with us).

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Just use Zoomdoc. I've used them in the past and it's been 10/10. Paid £40, sent a video, 1 hour later I had an official fit note in my email. Used it for work.

From their site: "By uploading video evidence, our doctors can provide you with a same-day travel and holiday cancellation certificate that will confirm your medical condition and that cancellation is advised. No appointment is needed – simply apply online."

Soldato
If the doctor genuinely believes you'll be unable to walk then can't see them making a big deal about providing a note to say unfit to travel.

Soldato
do you need -your- doctor to pre-empt the insurance question on any historic related injuries/symptoms/attendances.

Soldato
OP
do you need -your- doctor to pre-empt the insurance question on any historic related injuries/symptoms/attendances.

Don't know at the moment i guess any doctor can say unfit to travel.. I'll know for sure in a few weeks when I have to make the claim..

Associate
Don't know the exact terminology, but if you are saying you can walk 1/2 a mile, then unless there is something about actual flying that would make the condition worse, surely you are technically "fit to travel", just not fit to get around at your destination, so not fit to in any way enjoy your holiday, so be careful of that. Can likely argue that the condition even makes getting to and around your destination airport impractical. Or if travelling in economy, that sitting x hours in a tight seat is going to be too painful.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Don't know the exact terminology, but if you are saying you can walk 1/2 a mile, then unless there is something about actual flying that would make the condition worse, surely you are technically "fit to travel", just not fit to get around at your destination, so not fit to in any way enjoy your holiday, so be careful of that. Can likely argue that the condition even makes getting to and around your destination airport impractical. Or if travelling in economy, that sitting x hours in a tight seat is going to be too painful.

yer that was my concern, i've put in a econsult for the GP and they may or may not do the letter @ £30 if they do (they said its at the doctors discretion) , ill ask the consultant (when i get one) if the GP does not help.. I'll certainly NOT put on a brave face if they want to see me before doing the letter

Back
Top Bottom