Clamp Meter Suggestion

Associate
Hi,

I am thinking to get a clamp meter so I could monitor voltage and wattage on cables. Which clamp meter would be worth buying and it has to have wattage and voltage display

Soldato
Clamp meters, those that sit on top of cables, don't give voltage as far as I've seen, although I've never actually used one. They work by coupling a coil around the cable to induce a current which is then converted and measured. Some clamp meters do have voltage capability, these variants tned to have some probes which you then must shove into the socket to measure voltage.

Clamp meters also don't work on multicore mains cables as the live and neutral cancel each other out. So unless you can separate the two conductors (don't do this unless you know what you are doing) you'll get a zero result.

Get a plug in watt meter thing. Safer, reads voltage, current and counts kWh.

If you wish to measure low voltage DC then get a multimeter.

Associate
Bear in mind that the clamp part of a clamp-meter, as Tealc says, only works on single core cables. And they can not measure voltage or wattage, only current. They are really an electricians tool, and not for+ electronics. Best by far are FLUKE but they are very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom