Clarkson's Farm

Soldato
A farm shouldn't be making profit if it wants to be tax efficient, why pay out tax when you can re-invest in your equipment/stock etc. even a minor loss isn't to bad if your intention is to offset it in the coming years. (dont quote me mind im no tax guru :D)

just learned Gerald is the old contract farmer that is retiring! if reddit is to be believed!

No one listens these days! In esp 1 he said the old farmer was called Howard

Soldato
Quoted for the truth :o :D reddit eh....

though in the later episodes he did mention he's harvested the farm every year for the last 50years so you can see where the idea came from

He may have meant he helped cut it like the young lad. Gerald and him are father and son!

Soldato
Only done two episodes so far but really enjoying it, a modern and entertaining view on what most would consider a boring subject. Learning loads, finding it informative plus loads of laughs, good TV imho.

Caporegime
I dont know what it is, but Clarkson never fails to crack me up.

The bit in episode 4 when he said something about god deciding to make that hole in his dam that the water was whirlpooling through had me in stitches :D

Think it's just his wit and delivery.

Also, when he said yes for the receipt from that farm shop, otherwise people wouldnt believe him about the price too :D.

I'm sure a lot of it is staged/scripted but there are definitely some more "organic" moments. Its a good mix, a bit like top gear/grand tour.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
He's a well read and very intelligent man. He's trying to do something noble and different by the way he's gone into this venture but he's also not trying to sell that fact, it's just entertainment with his usual hamfisted approach regardless of how much he's read up on the subject. It's not all about him either, he's candid and honest about his limits and his employees and advisors are getting their share of the credit. It's all very interesting & amusing, definitely a lot better than the condescending twee Countryfile! :D

Dup

Dup

Soldato
That Kaeleb is amazingly experienced farmer for a 21 year old. You can’t teach that stuff at uni.

It's hereditary. I went to school and grew up around farmers, they just get stuck in the second they can walk and never stop. I had a mate who used to drive to my house on his tractor when he was about 12, and I'm talking a proper tractor not some old thing :D They just get up and get stuff done.

When I was at school we had the foot and mouth outbreak which was devastating even to the larger farms with huge amounts of livestock culled, but they all made it through just about. Because the whole family are involved the stress of something like that filters down and it was tough to see some lads at school suffering becasue their families livelihood was on the ropes. But they're all still farming now, some even beyond their families farms and in their own, they just don't stop. It's a really complicated industry that's battling imports and government meddling but as has been said before, it's not about profit it's a way of life for most. I'd do it myself if the cost of entry was the price of your average home.

Man of Honour
We should also have a big shout out to the Owen family on Our Yorkshire Farm who are the most amazing family I've ever seen if you want to see how kids grow up on farms.
What Clarkson was doing with the lambing sheep the Owen kids were doing from the age of four (maybe earlier).

Soldato
Have to say, it's the best show I've watched in a long time. The extras massively help to make it too.

Clarkson doing a Tegridy farms style second season would be hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom