Clean my mac

Commissario
No, not cleanmymac

Clean MY Mac!

I'd noticed over the last few months that the air coming out of the top of my 2011 iMac was quite toasty but didn't really think much of it. What I did really notice though was that when I did anything CPU intensive, the fans would ramp up fairly quickly, far quicker than ever before.

I didn't do anything about it, I did consider taking the screen off and giving it a clean but it's one of those things that one just never gets around to doing.

A couple of days ago, I put my hand under the front of the screen to pick something up off the desk and noticed that it came back covered in dust.

I didn't realise it but there are air vents on the bottom of the screen, all the way along and after I ran my finger along there, it became very obvious that they were all totally clogged with dust. I guess that's what over five years of continuous running does.

I ran all along there with a duster and the amount of dust that came away was quite incredible really.

A quick google shows that those vents are the air intake, air is sucked through there and then out the slot at the top of the iMac.

The result is that my iMac now runs significantly cooler, the fans don't ramp up anywhere near as much as they did before and it's a happier place here.

So if you've got an iMac and you've never checked the vents under the screen, have a shufti. They may be full of dust.

Back
Top Bottom