***Cleaning***

Soldato
Right, I figured I would jump the gun here due to some sod stealing my ACF50 thread :p Only kidding mate.

Anyway, List the products you use, what you would reccomend, what you would avoid and the reasons for both. And maybe a little description of what a good clean routine is for you.

I use the following products when cleaning:

SDOC 100 Gel - simply amazing stuff, removes road tar without you breaking a sweat! You apply and leave it to soak
SDOC 100 Chain cleaner - simply amazing stuff, removes road tar without you breaking a sweat! You apply and leave it to soak
WD40 - self explanitory
Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine shampoo - having a red bike I get a great deep finish with this
Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine polish - having a red bike I get a great deep finish with this
Autosol metal polish - Amazing with a bit of elbow grease!
Grease (LIGHTNING YEAAAAA) - ummm, yea...
ACF 50 (not yet used)
Mr Sheen household polish :rolleyes: - AWSOME! Love this stuff with a dust cloth for a very quick fairing polish before going for a sunday blast

Stuff I hate:

Muc off, expensive and does a mediocre job of it.

My once every few months proper wash goes as follows:

Step 1: Coat the entire bike in SDOC 100 gel, yes everything, people say not to put it on disks, I try and avoid but to be honest, it just leavs a film that rubs off after the first couple of brake applications, just double your braking distance. Also coat the chain in the SDOC 100 chain cleaner

Step 2: Wait 20 mins...

Step 3: Jet wash the gel from the bike, being careful not to get too close, make sure it's all removed! Leaving this stuff on for a really long period can do harm. It's designed to eat through road tar in 10 mins so imagine what it can do in 3 days!

Step 4: Get a bucket with a healthy dose of Autoglym shampoo, water is warm, give the bike a generous soak in the lovely foam. Get stuck in with elbow grease!

Step 5: Rinse bike off with a bucket of warm water. Normally 2 buckets and I use the sponge to rinse.

Step 6: Shammy as much down as possible!

Step 7: Take fairings off, time to clean the engine, loom and all the internals. Grab WD40 and a rag, go around all the internals cleaning everything up, spotless.

Step 8: Grab a tub of grease, go around all connections, taking fuses out, giving them a nice scrub with a wire brush and a light film of grease. Take off battery connection terminals, scrub up and film of grease followed by a huge dollop on both terminals. And grease up anything else that might need it, such as the springs on the throttle bodies for a nice light movement of the throttle.

Step 9: Grab the wax, sit on a bench in the sun and start polishing those fairings, elbow grease will be needed! Best to do the fairings off the bike as if you get wax on any black parts, such as air intakes, seat ect ect, your life will be hell.

(OPTIONAL) Step 10: Clean up any metal parts with polish if you really want to. Chrome parts. Normally this is the termi's and pipes for me, but only do this once a year lol.

(New to me) Step 11: Coat all metal parts in ACF 50, final rub down.

Step 12: Place fairings back on bike, one last buff with a microfibre cloth.

The Mr Sheen is for a very quick polish on the weekends.

Tadaa. Bike is now brand new :p

Last edited:
Associate
Right, I figured I would jump the gun here due to some sod stealing my ACF50 thread :p Only kidding mate.

Guilty! I'll add my 2c of what I've been using since I started riding in March. A very limited selection of cleaning products, but it's been working out well so far.

Paintwork, Bodywork and Chrome:
Autoglym Instant Bike Shine: Between cleans, I’ve found this useful to add a little life back into the paintwork, definitely not substitute for a decent thorough wash though.
http://shop.autoglym.com/motorbikes/instant-bike-shine.html

Autosol Chrome Polish: Whilst it actually says on the tube “don’t use for motorcycle trimming”, I’ve found this chrome polish to do the job, though requires a good bit of elbow grease and the dust that comes off it is a pain when it goes on the bits you’ve just cleaned.

Leather Seat:
I’ll admit I’ve not really treated the seat with anything, I've been using the AG Instant Bike Shine on it, which apparently helps feed the leather, but I'll look to get something a bit more substantial to treat the leather properly soon.

Chains: I’ve only been using Silkolene chain lube to look after my chain, though I’ll give the SDOC chain cleaner stuff a go too.

Wheels & Tires:
NB: When cleaning my wheels, I always check them at the same time for damage, wear, tread-depth and loose spokes. Just getting into the habit is good practice, and that way you don’t get caught out by low-tread on an MOT or similar.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I hadn't considered that. Surely as a product designed for use on tyres, it's not going to adversely affect the grip of your tyres? Any others had any experience with it?

It's something I have never done mate. I wouldn't do it my self either, it's oil based which gives the shine, so yes it is slippery.

Cars it's fine but on a bike it could cause issues.

Associate
It's something I have never done mate. I wouldn't do it my self either, it's oil based which gives the shine, so yes it is slippery.

Cars it's fine but on a bike it could cause issues.

I sent Turtle Wax an email asking what tests they've done on it and its suitability for use on bikes, just out of interest really.

I shall avoid using it on the bike though!

Associate
It's not designed for the tread at all.

What he said!

Its ok on a car as the tyres have a big contact area so any on the tread will go unnoticed until it wears off. On a bike however you only have a small contact area and its easy to cover that with the tyre black.

Associate

<SNIP>

The Mr Sheen is for a very quick polish on the weekends.

Tadaa. Bike is now brand new :p

You have an ocd problem and need help if that is how you clean your bike...lol

Bucket, sponge, shampoo, elbow grease and a cloth.tadaaaa :D

Soldato
Is that the best way to bring it back to new?

It works well on titanium pipes. If you have stainless steel (or what some manufacturers have the nerve to call stainless steel) then you will need something a bit harsher than WD40 to wring them up. There was on thread on here late last year about about a cleaner that HG sells that works very well on downpipes.

Back
Top Bottom