Clevo P170EM HD7970M (pos) gfx problems

Associate
I read that you could use CCC to select to only use the main GPU? if this is possible then try that. (i think its called powerplay)

Personally id return the laptop if that doesnt work.

I read another review yesterday where another Marque had disabled the IGP so enduro issues didnt cause a problem.

lemme find it..

Edit: cant find it atm, but bascially it was a business laptop with an intel processor and amd gpu targeted at presentaion and basic 3D. If manufacturers are now disabling the IGP on intel chips then this is really obviously too much of a problem and they obviously recieved complaints.

again, embarrasing for AMD

Last edited:
Associate
May be a bit late now but I have a p150EM and I found that the way you install drivers can have an affect on the gpu's utilization and performance, try disabling any internet security software you may have before installing new drivers, delete the AMD folder from C: and do an express uninstall of the older drivers before installing any new ones, also if you're installing any WHQL drivers install them as an admin. I've been using this method for a while now and I've found a few games that were getting sub par performance are now all getting over 90% utilization, there are a couple of games that I still get issues with but it's much better than when I first got the laptop. Don't expect this to fix all everything like I said it doesn't sort every game, AMD kind of dropped the ball with their Enduro stuff and I'm doubtful we'll ever see a complete fix for it

Associate
OP
May be a bit late now but I have a p150EM and I found that the way you install drivers can have an affect on the gpu's utilization and performance, try disabling any internet security software you may have before installing new drivers, delete the AMD folder from C: and do an express uninstall of the older drivers before installing any new ones, also if you're installing any WHQL drivers install them as an admin. I've been using this method for a while now and I've found a few games that were getting sub par performance are now all getting over 90% utilization, there are a couple of games that I still get issues with but it's much better than when I first got the laptop. Don't expect this to fix all everything like I said it doesn't sort every game, AMD kind of dropped the ball with their Enduro stuff and I'm doubtful we'll ever see a complete fix for it

I tried the absolute lot. Sometimes trying the exact same thing several times which is exactly how I know the AMD drivers are so bad.

Attempt 1: Complete driver and registry key wipe, install with manufacturers drivers.

Result 1: CCC fails to load or be properly recognised in OS.

Attempt 2: Complete driver and registry key wipe, install with manufacturers drivers.

Result 2: CCC loads, Enduro puportedly recognises applications, most games experience throttling.

and the whole nonsense continues like this with everything I try until I get to the point where I cant take it no more. Even if I fixed it 100%. The fact it is that these problems will rear their ugly heads once again through no fault of my own. Not good enough for a 1500GBP machine. RMA'd it. Now only looking at Nvidia gaming laptops. May hang back a while to wait on 780GTX and Haswell though.

Soldato
You do realise people have the same or similar issues with nVidia laptops?

Instead of getting butthurt about the issues you've had, be level headed and sensible.

Associate
OP
You do realise people have the same or similar issues with nVidia laptops?

Instead of getting butthurt about the issues you've had, be level headed and sensible.

Whatever.

I don't pay 1500GBP for a luxury entertainment device that is going to inexplicably start screwing up on me in the middle of the very sort of 6 week offshore stints that the thing was bought for. I dont want to spend any of the free time I get when I am away fiddling around for hours and days with damn laptop drivers.

I shall get a GTX 780M laptop just as soon as they become available. If I have anywhere near the same level of issues with that as I did with the HD7970M laptop, then that will get RMA'd as well and I will just settle for a bog standard laptop for a fraction of the price. If gaming laptop vendors can't get thier gaming laptops to work properly, then they shouldn't be selling them.

Soldato
Bit of a thread necro here but I noticed this thread come up when I google searched for clevo + 7970m problems, so hopefully I can help redirect people with issues to the right place. I used this simple method to update my drivers.

I got to the point where I couldn't access the catalyst control centre and then when I reinstalled the drivers from the CD supplied with the laptop I had a small issue with a component of the drivers not being installed correctly and trying to reinstall itself every time I booted up. I used the method above and I've had no issues so far, even with the latest drivers from AMD.

Associate
just wanna throw my 2cents into the mist of forum chat i have had a clevo p170em same as overclockers laptops here mines eurocom but none the less there all the same as for the amd 7970m enduro problem it has long since been solved and is lovely these days and on top of that amd at last have direct drive downloads for our machines no more clevo old gpu driver then display adapter driver only....

Best method now days is go to clevo.com.tw get the chipset(motherboard driver)
intel graphics driver and ofc ur wireless card machine spec dependant

1. clean install windows 7 x64
2. chipset driver --- followed by reboot
3. intel cpu driver --- followed by reboot
4. amds latest beta driver (enduro not desktop)
** current release is 13.6 beta 1 its perfect as far as i can tell
Reboot then ur remaining drivers as normal
thats it ur golden you have the new ccc interface and graphics switching is seemless no more lacking fps or bsod or running intel igpu instead of your shiny new 7970m

links of official drivers below:

http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/download.asp
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst13-6WINBetaDriver.aspx

ps.p150em aka 15" varient models its exactly same process hope this helps any of you...
to reiterate (DO NOT INSTALL THE AMD CLEVO DRIVER FROM YOUR DVD OR THE WEBSITE THERE IS NO LONGER A NEED AND IT WILL ONLY SERVER TO CLUTTER UR REGISTERY)

I hope this helps some of you that are still struggling under the old launch problems of last year, any other problems or issues please feel free to get in touch ive had a 680gtx and 7970 in this machine and tbh the amd card is better now the drivers have matured so feel free to pm or what ever if anything boggling you!

Last edited:
Associate
also by the sound of his issues with sleep wake up graphics he needs a bios update i had simular issues about 7 months ago but there have been no less then 9 bios revisions since and there are new fan tables for better cooling aswell as stability and gpu compatability,there a MUST have

Associate
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/416916-clevo-bios-thread.html

clevo p170em+p150em bios updates,be warned you may brick your laptop if you dont think and read and step by step the process... you have been warned!

the link above are official clevo bios's however bricking during bios upgrade is not coveredd under warranty so for the love of god if it aint broke dont flash it... if it is pay overclockers to flash it for you,then its their problem... or if your brave then go ahead.....

personally i have used every single bios-ec as listed above as an early owner of the p170em and can vouch for the stability and validity of them as i used those listed above for the upgrade process.

if in doubt i'm happy to help anyone local needing to reflash but is too scared too.BUT i wont crossflash p170em bios's to p150em to enable overclocking and i wont load modded bios's to these machines its too expensive a machine to go flippantly messing with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom