Client issues

Associate
Has anyone else had issue,s running multiple GPU clients and windows 7 this week.
I ask as this week for some unknown reason 1 of my clients seem's to be freezing my whole system. Namely the 1st gpu client.
As most of the regulars will know im currently running 2 x 9800 gx2's as well as a phenomm ii 940 running the smp client.

It all seemed to begin after i installed Starwars KOTOR II and began playing that, I did before it comes up switch of GPU client 1 first before playing leaving the rest to run as normal.

I have been able to run the game for hours on end (16+ in 1 day) and not have a problem, but when i exited the game and then re-enable the GPU 1 client after about 5 mins the system just froze.
Resulting in me switching my Pc to the not On position for the first time in years, when not upgrading that is.

i know its not a heat issue with the cpu as at present its running at 100% load and only 39c, as for the the 9800 gx2's their heat can flucuate between at present 76c on a 1888 to 104c when running a 353 or 768 on my main card.

Its not a power issue as i have a 1100 watt tagan psu and the clients have been running fine for months.

Steps taken so far,
deleted core files to allow client to download new ones incase of corruption
reduced oc on gpu shaders by 50mhz fromm 1800 to 1750
removed mild oc of 3.4Ghz on cpu back to stock of 3Ghz
updated gpu drivers from 190.38 to 190.62

System spec's

AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3Ghz WC via Reserator and BLack Ice 120.1 Rad via Laing D4 Pump.
Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe soon to be Asus M3A79-T Deluxe in order to get the sb750 chip to get a stable Oc of 3.8Ghz.
4Gb (2x2GB) Kingston Hyperx PC2 8500 (KHX8500D2K2/4G)
1x Leadtech 9800 GX2 @ 600/1000/1750
1x Zotac 9800 GX2 @600/1000/1750
(both gpu's will run @ 720/1100/1800 quite happily)
2X Maxtor Diamond Max 22 320Gb in raid 0
1x Maxtor Diamond Max 300Gb
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb
Lg DVD-RW DL ide optical drive.
PSU Tagan TurboJet 1100W Silent PSU.

Running Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 with all current updates.

Any other suggestions looking at the info above i could try to reslove this issue.
I do not wish to be having problems everytime i decied to turn off GPU Client 1 in order to do a bit of gaming as the beast of a pc requires me to do.
It would be a waste of good hardware and morraly wrong for me not to thrash it in the odd game.
And i do not wish to let the Team down.

Associate
Mine have been playing up this week too -
Have had lockups, one core running at 2d clocks, another running at full clocks but half ppd. Also in a similar fashion this only occurs after exiting a game (i've had a rome total war relapse:D)

To get the clients to run properly again, i've had to restart the pc. And like you my rig had been not on for a bit this week because i couldn't find a solution. But having someone else with the same issue makes me think its possibly a core/WU issue, as this has never been a problem before.

If it makes any difference i have also tried those two drivers and others, the latest seems as good as any.

I'm running a OCd 295 and a OCd q9450 so different hardware but the same issue.

As it happens i've nearly finished my total war game so shouldn' have the issue.

Maybe the new clients due will sort this issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ive finnished KOTOR II now but was looking at having a BF2 relapse as not played that in a while either.

As for the new clients ive not seen anything more on them as to when they will be released.
As you say with luck they will address these issue's espescially the one of heat.

Associate
OP
Update

system stabilty is now non existant, to the point i can't even use the internet or boot system unless in safe mode. :eek::eek:

i finaly got a BSOD which is a pain but at least it gives me an error message to try and work out what is going wrong.

NVLDDMKM.SYS

PAGEFAULT IN NON PAGED AREA

STOP: 0X00000050 (0XFFFFF8800FB21000, 0X0000000000000001, 0XFFFFF88004871052, 0X0000000000000000)

NVLDDMKM.SYS- ADDRESS FFFFF88004871052 BASE AT FFFFF88004818000, DATE STAMP 4A891906.

This leads to to either the drivers are at fault or worse still the memory on one of the cards.:confused::confused:

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
Uninstalling drivers, running a driver cleaner and reinstalling the drivers is probably the first thing I would try, if it works fine in safe mode I would guess the hardware would be fine (not sure if this is the case with multiple GPUs though, you may have to test each individually to make sure it's not a hardware problem). I would uninstall the game as well, to make sure it's not something in that.

Man of Honour
Yup, uninstall the drivers, maybe remove everything except one card, get that one stable then put the other card(s) in one at a time getitng the system stable with each card added before moving onto the next.

Otherwise sounds like a reinstall :(

Associate
OP
Ok first test over the system seems to run a OK without the nvidia drivers loaded.
So that would suggest that it is a software issue and not hardware as i first feared.

i think the next test will be to remove 1 card and load the nvidia drivers and see what happens. And then test with the other.

i have also for diagnostic purposes removed all software ive added to the system since i first noticed the problem.

EDIT:

ive just thought of something the problem also only began after i had installed the Beta version of Bullguard security software which im testing for them.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe the bullgaurd doesn't like the CUDA? Good luck with finding the cause

think my situation was just coincidence as my issue is resolved by not playing rome total war!

hopefully should be back to 20k ppd this week.

Associate
OP
Maybe the bullgaurd doesn't like the CUDA? Good luck with finding the cause

think my situation was just coincidence as my issue is resolved by not playing rome total war!

hopefully should be back to 20k ppd this week.

i wouldnt have thought so as ive used bullguard for years including the current retail version of 8.7.
its just a coincidence the trouble strated after i had agreed to install version 9 beta and help them test it as i did with both version 7 and 8 before release

Its not just CUDa anymore it seems to be the nvidia driver fullstop.
im currently downloading version 186.18 to see if that makes a difference.

There is also biffa's idea of wipe and start again but that would be a pain in the rear. Although it would give me an excuss to install the new mobo while i was at it.

i was just getting used to being in the 20k ppd club as well

Associate
OP
Further testing has revealed that the leadtech card seems to have a problem
ive swaped the cards about and tested them individually
when using the zotac card gpu-z correctly shows there are 2 gpu proccesors on the card
however when testing the leadtech card on its own gpu-z only shows 1 gpu processor.

This leads me to belive the leadtech card is kaput.
any ideas what could have caused this and why the card would still work with only one processor showing. And how long is leadtechs warranty as it looks like i may have to RMA the card .

Associate
cant say i know any of the above. I know this probably wont help, but there is a new beta driver 191.03, cant hurt to check! Claims to have fixed some multi card and 2d clock issues.

Associate
OP
cant say i know any of the above. I know this probably wont help, but there is a new beta driver 191.03, cant hurt to check! Claims to have fixed some multi card and 2d clock issues.

Ive already tried that with 4 differrent sets of drivers its the same no matter which driver i use
when the leadtech card is installed in the pc on its own gpu-z only finds 1 of the 2 processors onboard the card.
when the zotac card is installed in the pc on its own gpu-z finds both the processors on board.

As for warranty ive found from thier website that for graphics cards it is 24 months. and as the bios on the card is from march 2008 that would make the card still within warranty.

so ive taken it out the pc and replaced the metal shroud and hope that i can RMA the card for either repair or replacement.

I am still baffeled however as to why the card is still booting up with only one of the gpu core's working.

Associate
Just had a thought, does the 9800gx2 have an internal sli bridge (small strip cable) like the original 295? That would stop one card communicating with the other if its become dislodged.

Associate
OP
it does have a small ribbon style cable at the front of the card underneath.
as i have never tried to seperate the cards from the huge HSF unit i cant see how it could have been dislodged in anyway.
however i will remove the shroud and have a look as you suggest

Associate
OP
Well good news for once

The card seems to working perfectly now that i have installed the windows 7 ultimate RTM
both the gpu's now seem to show up and are working correctly

this should mean my PPd will increase again back to what they were before my gpu issue's
i can only assume there was an issue with the RC1 client of windows 7 but what it was i do not know.

Back
Top Bottom