Clone my C Drive onto a new SSD

Associate
What I want is to clone my old 500GB SSD boot drive onto a larger 1TB drive, one of those fancy M.2 drives (I could use a normal SSD but I want to have a go with this new tech).

How simple is it these days, and will things run exactly as they did on the original C Drive? I really can't be bothered to reinstall windoze or set up my Skyrim mod manager file paths all over again.
I saw recommendations on here to use Macrium Reflect for the cloning software.

-do I just fit the new drive, turn on the PC & then set Macrium Reflect loose?

-will it clone it in such as way that it will set a different drive letter, or is there a way to clone it absolutely exactly so that all I need to do is unplug the donor drive once it's finished being cloned and carry on as normal?

-Also, can anyone recommend me an M.2 drive that'll play nicely with my Asus B550-F mobo?

Sorry for the n00b questions. I'm getting old & timid :)

Associate
OP
Thanks @Murphy , that's really helpful. I'll check out those links in more detail tomorrow.
I'll need quite a big medium for the image though I guess? My boot drive has about 400+ GB data on it.
Could I use an old mechanical sata drive to temporarily mount the image do you think?

Associate
OP
It worked an absolute treat. I didn't bother with creating an image first, I just went full gung ho & followed the procedure as per instructions from @Journey.

I cloned my c: drive to my new WD SN750 and then cloned my dying d: drive to an almost new Samsung 860. It was so simple, a real relief and a huge weight off my mind as I'd been dreading this and really didn't want to reinstall windows or mess up my heavily modded Skyrim.

I'm so impressed with Macrium Reflect that I think I'll purchase a copy by way of thanks.

Back
Top Bottom