Clone SATA AHCI SSD to M.2 NVME SSD?

Soldato
That is a lot of acronyms.

Windows 10 Pro 64 is currently UEFI installed on a Samsung 830, I just bought a Samsung SM951 drive. Reinstalling windows is kinda easy, reinstalling all my programs and setting everything up again is a massive PITA and I'd much rather just not.

1) Is this recommended? Or will performance and stability suffer noticeably.

2) Can someone recommend a tool for this?

Soldato
OP
Tried macrium reflect and it bluescreens when I try to boot from the nvme drive with inaccessible_boot_drive.

Could it be because the source drive is ACHI and the destination is NVMe and there is some sort of incompatibility.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Did you find out what happened (or what you did) as I've just bought a M2 drive and toying with the idea of cloning but think I may just fresh install?
Honestly I have no idea. Kept blue screening on boot then I went back to the sata ssd except it didn't and booted from the nvme drive. Reinstalling anyway now which is a lot easier when you can copy program config files and stuff from the sata ssd.

Soldato
Honestly I have no idea. Kept blue screening on boot then I went back to the sata ssd except it didn't and booted from the nvme drive. Reinstalling anyway now which is a lot easier when you can copy program config files and stuff from the sata ssd.

I'm just backing up now as I think a complete re-install is the way forward, just thinking about all the crap I've got to put back on is making me sweat

Soldato
Hmm having issues, upon booting to Win10 USB the option to partition the M.2 drive was there (created partition get files ready for installation etc.) and then when booting after that with the USB drive removed the BIOS reports no bootable media connected (motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7.

Looking on the Gigabyte website doesn't really help as the BIOS updates don't mention adding updates for M.2 drives

Soldato
My only thought is that make sure UEFI is first and that the drive is listed as Windows Boot Manager in the bios.

Right come back to this and it's still puzzling me, M.2 drive isn't showing in the BIOS (or Windows Boot Manager) but when I plug both it and my current SSD in the M.2 shows in Windows with all the Windows system folders (as Drive letter D but I know this is irrelevant as I only wanted to make sure it was recognised).

Edit:- Resolved, applied a BIOS update and poof it appeared in BIOS and Windows Boot Manager, currently doing all the crap on Windows 10 now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom