Cloud Backup

Soldato
Hey, just wondering what cloud services folks are using for the MAC's? I have a friend who runs a business and uses time machine to backup to an external drive, but he wants to move to something cloud based so he doesn't have to change drives or worry about fire etc.

I was thinking crashplan or backblaze.

Commissario
I spent a fair time looking into these a couple of years ago and went with Backblaze due to various reviews comparing the products. It's working well for me, I've never actually needed to retrieve any files but I do an occasional test restore just to make sure it's working OK. Speed is good and it really is a case of set it and forget about it.

Soldato
I have about 1.5Tb of stuff up in BackBlaze and it works very well. It's not that configurable in that it tries to do too much for you for my liking - I.e. Selects your whole boot volume for example.

I've ended up setting up a specific BackBlaze volume that has point in time backups in it. Works well - performance is pretty good too. I'll often see uploads of 100Mbps+ on my 1Gb line, so it's not throttled massively at their end, if at all.

Soldato
Aha. Cool. I guess I could - I mean with a 1Gbps up it shouldn't take long :)

I think I'm a bit old-fashioned, I like fixed point in time snapshots for my active data. No reason I couldn't do both I guess.

Back
Top Bottom