Cloud FTP/Storage

VBN

VBN

Associate
Hi

I need to get up to 40+ users (who dont directly work for my company) to upload files of upto 150mb. Whilst I could run my own ftp server I don't really have the capacity tosupport 40+ low tech users configuring FTP clients etc and have been looking at online alternatives.

I've seen box.net looks OK, was wondering if anyone had used them or something similar and how you got on?

Cheers

VBN

VBN

Associate
OP
TBH there is no budget so it needs to be as cheap as possible really, space would need to be at least 2gig if we keep on top of managing the space, but bigger obiviously makes life easier.

Soldato
Unless you specifically need it to be FTP you could try Microsoft Skydrive and just set permissions to each folder to each user that way you can keep it seperate but also keep control of it.

FTP wise it would be easier to host your own as each outsourced solution is going to cost. 2GB is not that much traffic and as it's being uploaded to you any decent connection (say 8MB ADSL) will do that in no time.

M.

Soldato
Can you elaborate a bit more on the scenario - what kind of data is being uploaded (does it need to be encrypted for instance)? Who/how many people will subsequently need access to this data and where from?

J

VBN

VBN

Associate
OP
It'll just be short video segments. No need to be encrypted. Once the content has been uploaded someone here will download do a bit of editing and then push into our video/cms solution. The main factor really is ease of use for contributors.

Soldato
And presumably - speed?

I'm not convinced by some of the free services, but out of the options available I'd take a look into MS's option to see if that could fit your requirements.

VBN

VBN

Associate
OP
Just had a quick look at Skydrive looks like there is 50mb file limit. Speed isn't madly important the upstream from users will generally be slowish ADSL or perhaps upto 4mb SDSL. Download wise again not urgent but just needs to be consistent.

The reason I'm shying away from FTP is user confusion, these are low tech people, so with box.net I like the idea of go to website, register, drop files in my account all done, no need for confusing with now type in FTP etc etc.

daz

daz

Soldato
The reason I'm shying away from FTP is user confusion, these are low tech people, so with box.net I like the idea of go to website, register, drop files in my account all done, no need for confusing with now type in FTP etc etc.

Uploading 150MB files via a browser/HTTP based upload is going to be painful on a home ADSL connection. :o

Back
Top Bottom