Cloudflare launches new Public DNS

Soldato
Well I tried it and found that YouTube videos where not buffering ahead fast enough to keep videos playing smoothly. Google DNS seemed better.

I'm giving it another go. But I found that YouTube videos where buffering slower compared to Google DNS.

Youtube use regionalised server caches. By using a foreign DNS, Youtube is serving content from a server that probably is not the optimal one for a UK user. Getting a return from a US DNS will likely give you a US Youtube server farm's IP, so you'll be trying to stream from the US Youtube, instead of the one that's much closer and meant to serve the UK. You pays your money and takes your choice as to what is more important to your performance requirements.

I would always set up multiple DNS servers, make one of them your local ISP's DNS, and use your router as a DNS cache if possible.

Soldato
Youtube use regionalised server caches. By using a foreign DNS, Youtube is serving content from a server that probably is not the optimal one for a UK user. Getting a return from a US DNS will likely give you a US Youtube server farm's IP, so you'll be trying to stream from the US Youtube, instead of the one that's much closer and meant to serve the UK. You pays your money and takes your choice as to what is more important to your performance requirements.

I would always set up multiple DNS servers, make one of them your local ISP's DNS, and use your router as a DNS cache if possible.

Foreign DNS? Cloudflare returns queries from UK datacentres including Manchester, and so does Quad9 (the other provider discussed earlier). I don't particularly ever want my ISP to have a year (plus) long record of all the sites I and my family have visited online, so I use TLS alongside DNSSEC ta-very-much. :p

Associate
Is anyone else having issues with mobile banking when using Cloudflare DNS?

Santander iOS app has stopped working over the weekend with Cloudflare, changing over to Google DNS/4G sorts the issue.

Cant find a workaround on cloudflare forums.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Is anyone else having issues with mobile banking when using Cloudflare DNS?

Santander iOS app has stopped working over the weekend with Cloudflare, changing over to Google DNS/4G sorts the issue.

Cant find a workaround on cloudflare forums.

Previously I did yes, but after a week or so it sorted itself out. It was a known issue I believe. It was working but having tried it for the past couple of days.

Using Cloudflare on my Pi-hole and it definitely seems more punchy. I added both 1.0.0.1 and 1.1.1.1.

However, I've noticed a few things didn't work at first (and saw a few reports across the web) but they are fixed now. Santander's android app wouldn't work when using cloudflare but it appears to have resolved itself. BBC iPlayer Radio app doesn't work for some reason. Switching the DNS back it does.

Last edited:
Associate
Previously I did yes, but after a week or so it sorted itself out. It was a known issue I believe. It was working but having tried it for the past couple of days.

Yeah that's what was confusing me, I've been using Cloudflare as DNS since it launched and had no issues with Santander, then over the weekend it refused to connect.

Will have a play over the weekend. Cheers for the info.

Back
Top Bottom