coding for a ten year old

Soldato
Son has interest in Learning to code what is a good way forward?
Python I think this may be s bit hard at the moment.
HTML
Or something else?
I would like him to get a general idea of the concepts involved.

AJK

AJK

Associate
HTML and CSS are not programming languages. If your son has an interest in creating web pages, then by all means start him there, but he'll learn nothing about "how a computer program runs" from that.

Importantly, what are his interests - I mean, what's got him interested in learning to code? What do you/he mean by "learning to code" - what kind of coding?

Have you considered a toolset designed specifically for introducing children to programming concepts? I've heard some good things about Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/), though can't say I've used it myself.

Code Club may also be an option? (https://www.codeclub.org.uk/)

Last edited:
Associate
Son has interest in Learning to code what is a good way forward?
Python I think this may be s bit hard at the moment.
HTML
Or something else?
I would like him to get a general idea of the concepts involved.

I would go with Python; in particular, perhaps start him off with the "Invent with Python" series at http://inventwithpython.com/pygame/ or possibly Jason Briggs' "Python for Kids" (I haven't used the latter, but it gets excellent reviews and is targetted at 10+).

Associate
You might want to take a look at Scratch from MIT. A friend of mine in work said his (8 or 9 year-old) kid is using it. It may be too easy for your son, but it's supposed to teach the fundamentals.

After that I'd suggest some html, or even visual basic, where he can see the visual side of what he's doing rather than focussing on algorithms.

Associate
Well a bit off the wall but you could always look at Lego Mindstorms. It's essentially Lego kit with a load of sensors and servo motors, controlled but a central programmable unit. The programming can be viewed and done in 2 ways, through a drag and drop GUI or as code, and being Lego they step you through the basics surprisingly well until you're good to have a go at making your own.

Even at the GUI level, he'd be introduced to logic, loops, variables etc. and if he was to eventually get into it in a big way you can use third party IDE's like visual studio with C#

Have a read up on it and see if it would be useful to him, a lot of schools have looked into it as it's fun and aducational. Oh and don't worry about it being too childish for a 10 year old, there's a site where you can upload your creations and a good chunk of the best ones are made by working engineers. Have a look at some of the projects people have made.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I saw the new one! Looks awesome :)

I had the NXT set a good few years ago now and every time I see what people are doing with the projects it makes me wanna dust it off :)

Soldato
For a 10 year old they really are..

Python or ruby would be my choices, both fairly simple and very powerful

Maybe, maybe not, declaring variables, operators, loops, syntax, functions, arrays, some I/O.

Should be able to create a text based adventure game.

Caporegime
Maybe, maybe not, declaring variables, operators, loops, syntax, functions, arrays, some I/O.

Should be able to create a text based adventure game.

Although the basics of C__ are not any harder than other languages something like Python will allow easy continuation onto more advanced topics.

Plus there is a very natural understanding to Python syntax and the dictionary.

Code:
Names = ["John", "Jack", "Jill"]
if "Janet" in Names:
   print "Janet is a valid Name"
elif "Janet not in Names:
  print "Janet is not a valid Name"

Ages = {"John":32, "Jack":24, "Jill":"43 but pretends to be 36"}
print " Jack is ", Ages["Jack"], "years old"
print " Jill is ", Ages["Jill"], "years old"

I started programming in C++ at around 12. The big pains are the compilers as well.

Also the advantage of python is the interactive shell allows nice and easy understanding of the basics. And then there is a huge community and many projects designed to teach python to young children.

Back
Top Bottom