Coffee pod machine

Associate
Pod machines are pretty much all effectively the same, right? I've had a few over the years and they're great for what they are so long as you're palate's not too refined when it comes to coffee.

Soldato
It may be worth doing some maths to work out costs. These machines have a reasonably cheap outlay, then cost you a fortune in pods - £4.50 for 6 drinks currently in Tesco or 75p per cup.

If you are willing to consider a more expensive initial outlay and put the time in to learn how to use a decent espresso machine (Sage Barista Express for example), then you open up a lot of options beyond just caramel macchiatos. 1Kg of freshly roasted, decent quality beans can be had for around £20 and makes approx. 55 double espressos then you just need a bottle of caramel syrup for about £10 which will also be good for around 50 drinks. Also means you can use proper milk rather than the dried milk used in pods.

Comparitively, the pods usually contain 6-8g of coffee whereas making it yourself contains a true double espresso (18g) which can be split in half to make 2 drinks if you prefer a weaker drink, further lowering costs.

I accept however that this is not for everyone. The machine takes a few minutes to heat up, and you would need to learn how to pull a decent espresso and steam milk (it's not that difficult) but it is quite hands on whereas a pod machine is a couple of button presses.

Associate
Or you could just buy refillable, reusable pods and grind your own. If he's linking to a £40 pod machine I doubt he'd be willing to make an upfront payment of £550 just to make small savings a few years from now.

Soldato
Pod machines are pretty much all effectively the same, right? I've had a few over the years and they're great for what they are so long as you're palate's not too refined when it comes to coffee.

Not necessarily, the Tassimo for example can do lattes with milk pods as well as hot chocolate, teas etc.

Soldato
Get away from Starbucks for starters. Get a proper coffee machine and do proper coffee.
A Sage Bambino is only a couple hundred quid, heats up in seconds, and has enough features that you can make coffees vastly superior to anything offered by Starbuck, Costa et al.

Coffee pods are only good for recycling into Swiss Army knives.

Back
Top Bottom