Cold and hungry in Birmingham

Permabanned
MasterMike said:
Surely the best subway is either steak cheese with mayo, lettuce and tomato, or Italian BMT with mayo, jalapenos, tomato and cucumber.

It's a close second.

minus the tomato/mayo and replaced with Southwest sauce of course...

Soldato
Ahh well too late now but I would have gone with the chinese... there are some brilliant all you can eat buffets about a 5 minute, well 10 if you don't know where your going, walk from new street!

Man of Honour
Chrisss said:
Yeah lol woops, I said halopeno in my head and somehow spelt it out as halopeno also.
I first said jalapeno phonologically (Jal-A-Peno) when I first ordered a subway... how they laughed :(
Chrisss said:
It's a close second.

minus the tomato/mayo and replaced with Southwest sauce of course...
Not a BMT fan? :(

Permabanned
Kreeeee said:
Not a BMT fan? :(

I don't really like the salami or pepperoni that Subway do. :(

Kreeeee said:
I first said jalapeno phonologically (Jal-A-Peno) when I first ordered a subway... how they laughed :(

Lol, I sometimes hear some of the staff pronounce it like that as well.

Although not as bad as that time when someone in front of me ordered a
'marina meatball'

Associate
OP
Thanks to all that responded. [SKR]Phoenix's idea to head into Chinatown seemed the most interesting, but I walked past an aromatically enticing fajitas stand as I was wondering around and I helped myself to a nice cajun chicken wrap with crispy lettuce, mayo and oodles of melted cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Pretty good for fast food, although it did cost £4 which is more than I'm used to spending on food bought off the street rather than in a shop.

For anyone who wants to sample it, it's on that big street with all the hotels and franchised bars running alongside the Symphony Hall. Next to a strip club that advertised itself as "executive gentlemen's entertainment" :p

I thought of Subway myself but they've really gone downhill since they started expanding aggressively so it would've been a last resort, plus sandwiches don't really feel like a proper meal.

Oh and for the record, yes I'd eat at a *good* kebab place rather than a McD's anyday. A good kebab shop where they make the kebabs themselves rather than buying the pre-packaged tubes of ground gristle that the slaughterhouse didn't want to throw away is an absolute treat, and even an average one can at least claim to have a higher meat content to the food they serve you than a McD's would (though BK's burgers are much better than McD's). And don't place too much faith on their "controls" and "standards", as the burgers in a McD's are made round the back while the supervisor is probably at the front manning a till. They might control the burger until it gets to the outlet, but there's no telling what a hormonal, angst-ridden teenager might do to a burger he's making if he wants to screw the system and rage against the machine. I'm not saying I'd ALWAYS pick a kebab over McD's. If the kebab were made of 2-day-old roadkill it'd be a pretty even contest.

Soldato
manveruppd said:
Thanks to all that responded. [SKR]Phoenix's idea to head into Chinatown seemed the most interesting, but I walked past an aromatically enticing fajitas stand as I was wondering around and I helped myself to a nice cajun chicken wrap with crispy lettuce, mayo and oodles of melted cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Pretty good for fast food, although it did cost £4 which is more than I'm used to spending on food bought off the street rather than in a shop.

For anyone who wants to sample it, it's on that big street with all the hotels and franchised bars running alongside the Symphony Hall. Next to a strip club that advertised itself as "executive gentlemen's entertainment" :p

I thought of Subway myself but they've really gone downhill since they started expanding aggressively so it would've been a last resort, plus sandwiches don't really feel like a proper meal.

Oh and for the record, yes I'd eat at a *good* kebab place rather than a McD's anyday. A good kebab shop where they make the kebabs themselves rather than buying the pre-packaged tubes of ground gristle that the slaughterhouse didn't want to throw away is an absolute treat, and even an average one can at least claim to have a higher meat content to the food they serve you than a McD's would (though BK's burgers are much better than McD's). And don't place too much faith on their "controls" and "standards", as the burgers in a McD's are made round the back while the supervisor is probably at the front manning a till. They might control the burger until it gets to the outlet, but there's no telling what a hormonal, angst-ridden teenager might do to a burger he's making if he wants to screw the system and rage against the machine. I'm not saying I'd ALWAYS pick a kebab over McD's. If the kebab were made of 2-day-old roadkill it'd be a pretty even contest.

I know the one you mean, it's outside (and owned) by the strip club 'Rocket Club'. Been there a few times, seemed to be pretty good the last time I went - the food stall that is :p .

Back
Top Bottom