cold start problem

Underboss
Why is it that when I start my car from cold, it has trouble with the revs? starts fine however.

I think its something to do with the choke

When I start the car without using the accelerator, the revs go up and then straight down to 500 RPM and below, its too low to continue so the engine stops.
But if I hold the accelerator on say 2000 RPM for 5 secs and let go, revs turn to normal (800 rpm) so I am guessing the choke isn't working?

200SX 1991

Soldato
On the Nissan I used to drive (OK it was an old Micra K10 but still...) I had to depress the accelerator once and then lift up before starting the car.

This was printed in the owners manual. It would sometimes have the same problem but never if you did this procedure. The correct way of starting it according to the book.

The car was injection afaik so no idea what effect this one-pump did?

Underboss
OP
Tesla said:
On the Nissan I used to drive (OK it was an old Micra K10 but still...) I had to depress the accelerator once and then lift up before starting the car.

This was printed in the owners manual. It would sometimes have the same problem but never if you did this procedure. The correct way of starting it according to the book.

I did try that method, did nothing :(

Soldato
Tesla said:

Prime the injectors?

Soldato
ShiWarrior said:
Why is it that when I start my car from cold, it has trouble with the revs? starts fine however.

I think its something to do with the choke

When I start the car without using the accelerator, the revs go up and then straight down to 500 RPM and below, its too low to continue so the engine stops.
But if I hold the accelerator on say 2000 RPM for 5 secs and let go, revs turn to normal (800 rpm) so I am guessing the choke isn't working?

200SX 1991

Clicky Hopefully these guys should be able to help you out mate.

Though I'd imagine it will be a coolant temp sensor or similar failed possibly. My friends sx used to idle at quite a way over 1k until it had warmed up.

Back
Top Bottom