Coloured or Clear

Soldato
I've just done a new build with EK PETG Hardline (ITX project in sig) and normally I just leave my loops with X1 clear fluid. This time round, I think it would look better with coloured fluid.

Any suggestions on what type of fluid would be compatible with PETG? Or would I best leaving it clear?

Associate
My advice ? Always clear coolant , whilst i have no experience with dyes all the pre-mixed coloured coolants (Ek, Mayhems etc) i have ever used have ended up sludging up the blocks over time , since i switched to a clear coolant I've had no such issues.

Soldato
Been using mayhems X1 clear with uv green added for about a year. Will be draining and rinsing in the next few days so will updates on any sludging.
Will be replacing with mayhems uv green pastel as it seems a much superior and vibrant green.

Soldato
In your micro build I would personally say add some colour to liven it up. Or I wanted to try and frost the tube on my old one which would give it a cool look with clear fluid and some light. Spray with window frosting or gentle sand (maybe not sand blast?!).

Up to you, could print some colour swatches to some paper and roll up mock tube in colours to see what you like?

I’ve recently moved over the mayhem’s coolant and no complaints I have to say, favouring the pure H2O and blending colours over off the shelf.

Soldato
OP
Been using mayhems X1 clear with uv green added for about a year. Will be draining and rinsing in the next few days so will updates on any sludging.
Will be replacing with mayhems uv green pastel as it seems a much superior and vibrant green.

I'll look forward to the feedback as I'm already using X1 clear so could add the same additive if you've had no adverse effects.

Soldato
In your micro build I would personally say add some colour to liven it up. Or I wanted to try and frost the tube on my old one which would give it a cool look with clear fluid and some light. Spray with window frosting or gentle sand (maybe not sand blast?!).
I reckon a light sandblasting will do it, so long as it's not shot blasting! Alternatively 600-1200 grit wet and dry paper will do a nice job. Best to try and leave the functional ends of the tubes shiny though, for a good seal.

I recently used Alphacool frosted hard-line acrylic. I'm told it's harder to bend but it turned out pretty good, and the look is ace. I also found you could make it a little less frosted with polish, and wire wool smoothed it out too.

vmnrRbI.jpg

Associate
I've been using Mayhems X1 of various colours for the last few builds and never had a problem, I think the sludging is more down to tubing and temperature of the coolant TBH.

Associate
I've been using Mayhems Pastel White which works well with RGB strips as it reflects the colour. It's obviously not as distinct as using a Pastel but it looks good if you don't want contrasting colours in your case.

For my next build I’m going back to Mayhems X1 Clear but I’m using Alphacool ‘satin’ tubing as @LuckyBenski has and Alphacool Aurora rather than LED strips to give me a little colour – changing the ambiance when I fancy. ;)

Associate
I reckon a light sandblasting will do it, so long as it's not shot blasting! Alternatively 600-1200 grit wet and dry paper will do a nice job. Best to try and leave the functional ends of the tubes shiny though, for a good seal.

I recently used Alphacool frosted hard-line acrylic. I'm told it's harder to bend but it turned out pretty good, and the look is ace. I also found you could make it a little less frosted with polish, and wire wool smoothed it out too.

vmnrRbI.jpg
very nice build :)

Back
Top Bottom