Combi boiler in the loft

Fine as long as you have good access for servicing.

Regarding pressure etc, you'll soon find out if it's working or not due to pressure loss. They also have safety valves so nothing to worry about. The boiler will stop working on the heating side of it doesn't have pressure, so just pop up in the loft then. Nothing is fool proof but the reality is boiler don't leak that often, and in theory a once a year service should be enough and then a quick check every time you enter the loft.

The loft will still require pipework to be insulated. No need to worry about heat in the loft either won't have an impact on the boiler.

If your having large scale works done look to oversize the radiators and install an opentherm thermostat, this will enable the system to work at a much lower temperature and use less gas.

Make sure the boiler isn't over sized for the property when switching to combi boiler installers just tend to throw over sized units in.

I wouldn't personally go with ideal, but at the end of the day probably best to stick with what your installer suggests as they will likely be servicing it and know the intricacies of that brand and model, and sometimes they are affiliated installers which helps the warranty process aswell should you need it.
Think will try and keep it downstairs as just seems easier and closer to the gas outlet.
Never heard of Ideal before this, always had Valiant.
They quotes 32kw model, it's 3 bedroom detached house with one bathroom that will have shower and bath in it. There are currently 9 medium sized radiators but will be getting extension done so 32kw sounds about right.

Ok, each to their own I guess. Don't care what tech is old or new, want something that works for us :)
As someone else has already said, when you're not allowed to replace the boiler in a few years you'll have to pay again to get a tank put back in. If you're really wanting to plan ahead, pay to get the tank moved to the garage now, and the heat pump cost will be much cheaper when the time comes.

As someone else has already said, when you're not allowed to replace the boiler in a few years you'll have to pay again to get a tank put back in. If you're really wanting to plan ahead, pay to get the tank moved to the garage now, and the heat pump cost will be much cheaper when the time comes.
You know it's proposed and not actually been set, also it only applies to new builds.

Think will try and keep it downstairs as just seems easier and closer to the gas outlet.
Never heard of Ideal before this, always had Valiant.
They quotes 32kw model, it's 3 bedroom detached house with one bathroom that will have shower and bath in it. There are currently 9 medium sized radiators but will be getting extension done so 32kw sounds about right.
Very inefficient. I have a 22kwh system boiler. Your heating bills may go up as the boiler is sized for hot water/showers and everything else is an after thought.

Very inefficient. I have a 22kwh system boiler. Your heating bills may go up as the boiler is sized for hot water/showers and everything else is an after thought.

For combi boiler above article states for 3 bed 1 bath/shower recommended is 29kw.

For combi boiler above article states for 3 bed 1 bath/shower recommended is 29kw.
Yes because combos are massively over specified to cope with your showers and hot water demand. Lookup the equivalent system boiler size.

Just echo'ing what has been said about oversizing the rads, and using opentherm compatible thermostats. We overized all our rads, and worked off a flow temperature of 30c (iirc). This means that the boiler is always able to be condensing, and the house remains a comfortable temperature. The radiators never got hot (unless we've been away, and the temperature has dropped massively, then the flow temp goes way up for bringing the house back up to temperature), this means you can't really tell when the heating comes on and there's no overshoot that Ive seen with others.

This also means that if I were to swap it for a heatpump in the future, the rads are already sized for it.

Modern boilers can modulate down really well though can't they?
Only certain ones. Most struggle to get below 6-7kW output on heating which insanely high for an even reasonably insulated house. You'll likely not need 2-3kW, especially if you're able to maintain a lower flow temperature.

If you Google search on combi Vs system boiler efficiency, all the articles that come up will say the combi is more efficient.

I agree with what's been said on the heating side, but imo if you have good controls (weather compensation/opentherm) it's probably in the single digits difference.

The cost saving and space saving of a combi Vs system is massive as well.

I'd never fit a system with tank unless I had a big house with multiple occupants and bathrooms.

Last edited:
Just echo'ing what has been said about oversizing the rads, and using opentherm compatible thermostats. We overized all our rads, and worked off a flow temperature of 30c (iirc). This means that the boiler is always able to be condensing, and the house remains a comfortable temperature. The radiators never got hot (unless we've been away, and the temperature has dropped massively, then the flow temp goes way up for bringing the house back up to temperature), this means you can't really tell when the heating comes on and there's no overshoot that Ive seen with others.

This also means that if I were to swap it for a heatpump in the future, the rads are already sized for it.
Will do radiator oversize for sure, that's what we did when we had extension done on our last house.
We have Tado smart thermostat we used in our last house, I'm not sure if it's opentherm compatible.....think it might be though.

If you Google search on combi Vs system boiler efficiency, all the articles that come up will say the combi is more efficient.
it is half the story in terms of maintenance/reliability - combi is being turned on and off for water versus one 'on' for the tank - neighbour ominously had his identical 32kw ideal replaced after 10 years.
(there's an analogy somewhere with stop/start/short journeys in cars)

I thought parents new Ideal could be used as combi or system boiler (latter is mode theirs is plumbed for) , so if I replaced mine would look for that flexibility if I didn't put in a tank there & then.

I had had system in previous property and it's nice having hot water available quickly than waiting for combi to spool up, so often wash hands in bathroom in cold water as a gas/speed efficiency

I'm not sure, might ask for that.

Ideals are decent but the after care isn’t the best. I fitted a Logic Max for someone a few years back and the pump went. He waited nearly a week for Ideal to send an engineer out. In February that’s not great. Vaillant usually have someone out the next day. Ive had them out the same day before for a warranty call.

Ideals are decent but the after care isn’t the best. I fitted a Logic Max for someone a few years back and the pump went. He waited nearly a week for Ideal to send an engineer out. In February that’s not great. Vaillant usually have someone out the next day. Ive had them out the same day before for a warranty call.
That's extremely useful information, thank you !!! Will insist on Valiant

I've been gas registered for 30yrs. The FB gas chat group for registered installers are constantly bitching about Ideal boilers. Our company wouldn't touch them with a barge pole for an installation. If you want a cheap boiler, designed on the cheap, then that's fine. Otherwise invest in something better.

Nothing is going to change anytime soon, so correctly fitting a combi is a perfectly fine and efficient solution for the expected lifespan of the appliance. And in 10 to 15 years time, I'm sure tech will be better with the greener/efficient alternatives, to then look into those systems, without having to rush in now and make do with the installation requirements and comfort levels.

We have a WB 32cdi in the loft after the old boiler got condemned and we switched to a closed system.

We have a carbon monoxide alarm in the loft too. In the past it and the one in the cupboard for the old boiler was the only way I was alerted to it spilling carbon monoxide into the house.

Back
Top Bottom