Comfortable (trainer like) work shoes?

Soldato
I find Dr Marten boots very comfortable and they are smart enough for work. I suppose some people might consider them a bit quirky but until your trousers ride up you can't even tell they're boots.

My time's split between sitting at a desk and walking around the workshop and I find them really comfortable.

Soldato
I wear merrell black jungle mocs in the office, they are just what OP wants

I've had a few different pairs, but by far the best were Mountain Kicks. Looked perfectly professsional, and they were the comfiest shoes I've ever worn.

But because of that I wore them pretty much constantly for 3 years, and the soles are as thin as paper now - and they've stopped making them.

They don't seem to have any obvious equivalent any more either. I have bought some of these:

https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/ge...color=J92007#cgid=merrell-casual-mens&start=1

Which are also very comfortable, but a fair bit more casual in appearance.

My usual Merrell purchases have been Moabs - their hiking shoe. I've owned three pairs of those, but I swear every time I've bought a new pair of them, they're slightly less comfortable and slightly less well made.

Man of Honour
I have a pair of Clarks brogues that I have walked for literally thousands of miles in. They're very comfortable and still smart. They get cleaned and polished regularly and have been resoled and reheeled a number of times.

This is a genuine use of the word literally. I have walked for thousands of miles in them.

Smart does not automatically mean uncomfortable. You get what you pay for.

Yep, Clarks are awesome.

Also people, it is actually spelled Skechers.

Soldato
I have a pair of Clarks on now, roughly a year and a half old, and they are really hard to wear, they started out lovely but the quality compared to my last pair of Clarks is not the same, I probably wont be buying another pair next time and look for something like the smart Skechers.

Soldato
Cant remember what the "Model name " is but Clarkes do (or at least did) some smart shoes (Not quite City class, more moccasin) with proper leather uppers and a full-on trainer style sole.

Very comfortable indeed!

Caporegime
I wear merrell black jungle mocs in the office, they are just what OP wants

I had some of those, nice casual shotes/trainers, though wore them with jeans. They'd look a bit silly with a suit in a semi-formal setting, you might as well be wearing actual trainers.

Soldato
I'm yet to see a 'trainer style' smart shoe that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb as being very obviously not a smart shoe.

Personally I find the airflex range at M&S to be very comfortable for a smart shoe

Soldato
OP
That's what I'm thinking. Whilst I appreciate a lot of the fantastic suggestions, a lot of them I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing at work, in my suit in a customer facing position.

I've literally just got these Skechers and have them on now. I'm not sure they're that different to the Clarks I have. The problem is, I wont really know until I wear them for a shift and then I doubt I can return them if they aren't any better :(

I don't get it. Is there a reason they can't just put a trainer sole on a nice pair of shoes?

Caporegime
Clarks shoes tend to be really, really heavy, from what I remember. Haven't owned a pair from them for years, tho (because they were always really, really heavy when I used to wear them :p)

Moved on to the super-lightweight variants of Hush Puppies or others. Nothing worse than gert heavy shoes when you're just moping around in the orifice all day.

Soldato
clarks active air nature 3 used to be a goto for the office ~1KG a pair, not too heavy, comfortbale for lunch time walk -
used for 10 years. , in sales could be had for £60

But the quality of their soles has deteriorated in newer models so had to return two consecutive pairs, and now looking for alternatives to Clarks,
they just produce too many models with large advertising/web budget, but shoes now mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom