Compact speakers

f it blows you have a useless speaker, hopefully the plate amp is available
I don't think replacement parts will be a problem

These speakers have been around since 2005 and are still a popular choice almost 20 years later, I doubt spare parts will dry up anytime soon.
if it came to it in a few years time I wouldn't mind just buying another single speaker anyway to a replace the faulty one.

1J5epOo.png

I don't think replacement parts will be a problem

These speakers have been around since 2005 and are still a popular choice almost 20 years later, I doubt spare parts will dry up anytime soon.
if it came to it in a few years time I wouldn't mind just buying another single speaker anyway to a replace the faulty one.

The unavailable speaker plate amp was for a high end £2000-£3000 active speaker. Speaker no longer made. Slightly different when it's that sort of level.

Wheras with passive speakers, as long as the drivers and crossovers are ok, if seperate amp blows for the L/R - my system would be out of action for about 10 minutes (bring down unused amp or go from 9.4.4 to 7.4.4)

again pros and cons. Same for passive versus active subs. Active subs are the most common (and mine are all active) but I think passive subs are the way to go for long term use.

I get 0 noise/hiss with my Yamaha active speakers plugged into a creative Z SE using a 5ft 3.5mm stereo to dual mono unbalanced TS cable

Router gave electrical interference when sat on the desk but went away after I moved the router 8 inches higher. (its still next to the speaker, just not directly next to where the amps must be inside the speaker)

@JRJ

You need a 3.5mm stereo to dual mono cable.
The 3.5mm stereo jack connects to the front channel audio jack on your motherboard.
the other ends connect to the speaker.
usually XLR and TRS on studio monitors. TRS is better when connected to a PC soundcard. as soundcards output an unbalanced signal and TRS inputs take both balanced or unbalanced, the unbalanced TRS connector is called TS its a 1/4 or 6.35mm connector that looks lie a giant 3.5mm headphone jack.

normal hifi speakers aren't designed for nearfield listening like sitting at a desk.

for connecting a pc to TRS you would need https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VFNWSB7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1
and your speakers should be isolated from your desk so sitting on some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DCF3F7P?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title (the flat part contacts the desk)

Tweeters should be ear height though and with the speakers aimed at a spot directly behind your head for studio monitors, so you might wanna just get speaker stands with adjustable tilt

BTW if you look at Yamaha speakers since I mentioned having them, make note the price is PER speaker, they are sold individually

Also if you buy a different version of the Y cable I linked above, make sure you can see where the split is on the cable.

Some of them the cable might be 5ft long, but the split end will only be a few inches so useless for speakers.
Thanks @arknor makes a lot more sense, I seem to have opened a can of worms :cry:

Just to update I settled on the Kanto ORA, seems to suit my needs and the additional height over the YU2s is worth it for the better spec.

Back
Top Bottom