Comparing Two Versions Of Code

Caporegime
For a section of my thesis I have to compare two versions of code I have written. The code is in essence code for a line follower.

However, I want to compare the efficiency of the code. However it would be nigh-on impossible to replicate the starting position of the robot on the line each time.

Fellow Programmers, I need your help

Una

Una

Associate
There is no easy way to compare code really. You could try to profile it or you can work out what big O notation your algorithms follow. You could also disassemble it and work out the number of machine intructions needed to perform the operation (Hehe). You could just time them I guess as well (Depends how mathmatically sound you want your results).

Last edited:
Associate
Why not write a test framework that feeds data to your program, and then simply time how long each program takes to complete a data run?

Can be a bit of a pain but you can feed them different size data sets, and use that to show efficiency improvements that one piece of code gives over another?

Soldato
What language is it in?

In java you can write a test framework and use a time to calculate the speed of different operations. I had to compare an ArrayList to a LinkedList before to see which was more efficient for the situation and I use this method. It works quite well but it depends what your language has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom