Complaining neighbours

Suspended
Not me personally but yesterday some lads had their music on quite loud. It could be heard by some people over the road who came accross and complained at them to turn it down. By the looks of it they got the door slammed in their faces after talking for around 2minutes.

Fine if it was 4am but it was about 4pm. Am I correct in thinking that the neighbours cant do anything unless its between the hours of 11pm-7am? (legally!)

Their gonna love my mate who has moved in next to the neighbours!

Soldato
There's not a set time where noise has to be turned down by. But an unacceptable amount of noise will be punishable (well, have the police sent round etc), and by the sounds of things, it's unacceptable.

-RaZ

Caporegime
geeza said:
Not me personally but yesterday some lads had their music on quite loud. It could be heard by some people over the road who came accross and complained at them to turn it down. By the looks of it they got the door slammed in their faces after talking for around 2minutes.

Fine if it was 4am but it was about 4pm. Am I correct in thinking that the neighbours cant do anything unless its between the hours of 11pm-7am? (legally!)

No, you have the right to complain at unreasonable noise or disruption at any time of day.

Soldato
D.P. said:
No, you have the right to complain at unreasonable noise or disruption at any time of day.

Yup, if you do wish to complain, your supposed to contact your local council, they may well have a department set up to deal with this sort of thing. If thats not the case then it would be a police matter.

Man of Honour
they can complain, but as long as its not on for long periods of time and its not in the middle of the night. The chances of anything being done are less than remote.

Associate
It shouldn't matter what time of day it is, just because most people arn't sleeping at 4pm, what about people who work nightshift, or are not well, or old people who might be in bed with an illness etc?

I once had my music very loud at like 2am in the morning and my neighbour isn't very well and the next day he said he didn't get any sleep that night.

Oh how guilty I felt about that, and rightly so. I would never ever ever slam the door on someone, even if they were being really LANGUAGE! about it.

Last edited:
Suspended
I believe that if someone is making a lot of noise between 11PM and 8AM you are allowed to call the police, think 8AM is right!

It also depends on the type of music, if you can hear it and there is lots of swearing or racist language you could complain on that ground.

Man of Honour
Scott Salisbury said:
It shouldn't matter what time of day it is, just because most people arn't sleeping at 4pm, what about people who work nightshift, or are not well, or old people who might be in bed with an illness etc?

you get paid extra for night shift for that very reason. It's annoying but you can't stop everyone else's life cos you work nights. When I work on the car I make a hell of a racket for up to 8hrs straight. Angle grinders are not the quietest.

And there in lies the problem, if we start dictating people can't have loud music during the day, will it then filter on to all noise?

Soldato
AcidHell2 said:
you get paid extra for night shift for that very reason. It's annoying but you can't stop everyone else's life cos you work nights. When I work on the car I make a hell of a racket for up to 8hrs straight. Angle grinders are not the quietest.

And there in lies the problem, if we start dictating people can't have loud music during the day, will it then filter on to all noise?

Some people dont get paid extra for working nights, nurses, doctors, ambulance, police, fire brigade.. Its all part of the job, and yes they chose to do it, but other people should respect peoples privacy, it may be fine for you to listen to a angle grinder for 8hrs but it may be driving your neighbour mad.. I work nights and i wouldnt put up with it... rant over..

Man of Honour
ScoobyDoo said:
Some people dont get paid extra for working nights, nurses, doctors, ambulance, police, fire brigade.. Its all part of the job, and yes they chose to do it, but other people should respect peoples privacy, it may be fine for you to listen to a angle grinder for 8hrs but it may be driving your neighbour mad.. I work nights and i wouldnt put up with it... rant over..

yes they do, it will be included in there salary. I used to work nights all the time, I still work a few weeks a rosta. If you do nights, you have to relies you are the odd one out and you shouldn't try stopping people from carrying on with there life just because you want some sleep.

Permabanned
It doesn't matter whether I am trying to sleep or not, or whether I am ill or not, or what time of the day it is... I have the right not to endure an inconsiderate neighbour's unreasonably loud noise.

Soldato
Music so loud it can be heard across the street? Very considerate! Angle grinders for 8 hours a day in a residential area? There are reasons why garages are where they are, you know.

Noise is a modern curse. I live next to a busy road and am amazed by the number of cars whose music I can hear from fifty yards away. How would the driver be able to hear someone's warning horn or shout with music that loud? And the frequent Saturday nights when I can hear a party from ten houses over.. it's one thing to have a party but another to inflict it on the entire neighbourhood. My kids go to bed at 8:30 and loud dance music with bass that you can feel stops them sleeping and ruins my night and the next day.

There used to be this thing called "con-sid-er-a-shun" - to think about others, it means for those who have never heard of it. It works both ways of course and I "consider" the party animals by not mowing them all down with a 50 calibre keyboard but I don't see them "considering" my feelings at all!

Soldato
They could have least invited the neighbours to come and listen to the music?! :rolleyes: As i have said before, some students have moved in next to me, but as they may be a bight silly sometimes (water leak), they are at least sensible as to when they have house parties and there is gonna be some noise, they invite me! :D Bit stange though, 27 year old going to a house part full of 20 year olds! :eek: I wouldnt know where to look! :D

Man of Honour
MikeTimbers said:
Angle grinders for 8 hours a day in a residential area? There are reasons why garages are where they are, you know.

But I don't use it every day. Probably 1 maybe 2 weekends a month max. never before 9am or after 5ish. Yes you have to be considerate, but you can't get away from noise.

If the music is blaring out all day every day then fair enough. if they just turned up for an hour and they don't do it everyday. Wheres the harm in that.

and no I'm not going to buy a garage..

Soldato
My neighbours are the most inconsiderate jerks i've ever had the misfortune to live next to.

Its driving me mad.

There 4 year old son spends all night, screaming at the top of his lungs for his mother, so i'm constantly woke up by this racket (as his room is next to mine).

Then at 6:30am the kid gets up, and starts screaming and shouting (playing) and the mother and father join in. So i've got all 3 making as much noise as they please.

This stops at about 7am, then they go downstairs, open the back door up, and go play with the kid in the backyard, same scraming and shouting.

Now its bad enough through a brick wall, but when i've only got a window stopping the sound, its bloody annoying.

This happens about 4 times a week, osmetimes i can sleep through it, but i'm ready to explode.

Bloody southerners as well, no respect, they simply haven't taught their child manners or consideration, and by the looks of things their parents didn't drill it into them as well.

My 9 week old baby makes less noise than that brat.

Associate
geeza said:

Yea I think thats write dont know about 7am but yea I think 11pm :)

Back
Top Bottom