Complaint from another leaseholder

Soldato
So today all the people in the block of flats we live in got an email from the property management company.

Someone has complained that someone was drying clothes out in the sun on the communal garden area. Unbelievable!!

"Following a complaint from a leaseholder at ***** Court I would just like to remind everybody of the following clause contained within your lease…..

‘not to hang out or expose for airing or drying or for any other purpose any clothes or washing outside the demised flat’

I can't believe there is a clause stopping someone from airing clothes outside. Our previous block of flats provided us with clothes driers and actively promoted airing clothes outside to prevent mould and damp issues brought on from drying indoors.

We use our balcony to dry with a clothes drier as we get the sun from 8am to 3pm.

Is there anything we can say or do to change this in the lease

Soldato
OP
I'd say approach the freeholder and ask them to change it however as a leaseholder has complained the likelihood of them changing the restrictive covenants for everyone is very slim and costly even if everyone agree let alone one person fighting it.

It'll probably be cheaper to buy and run a tumble dryer all year.

I'm sure this is what will happen if webdid try and change it. I just think it's so ludicrous. Its some clothes drying in the warm sunshine.

This was our neighbours not us as they are ground floor. We use our balcony to dry oir clothes weather permitting. We've all been doing it for the 4 years we've been here. Looks like someone new has moved in and is being a proper **** about things.

Soldato
OP
... is your balcony too, classified as 'outside' then ? (do you infer you need to stop too)

yes they have stipulated it's balconies too.

"If you rent out your flat can you please make your tenant aware that no washing can be placed on the communal grass on airers, it is not even allowed on balconies."

Having googled the **** out of this last night it seems it's really widespread in leases in blocks of flats. I had no idea it was a rule and I'd say very antiquated now. I want to dry my clothes in the sun I should be allowed to do so on my own balcony.

Back
Top Bottom