Complaint from another leaseholder

Soldato
So today all the people in the block of flats we live in got an email from the property management company.

Someone has complained that someone was drying clothes out in the sun on the communal garden area. Unbelievable!!

"Following a complaint from a leaseholder at ***** Court I would just like to remind everybody of the following clause contained within your lease…..

‘not to hang out or expose for airing or drying or for any other purpose any clothes or washing outside the demised flat’

I can't believe there is a clause stopping someone from airing clothes outside. Our previous block of flats provided us with clothes driers and actively promoted airing clothes outside to prevent mould and damp issues brought on from drying indoors.

We use our balcony to dry with a clothes drier as we get the sun from 8am to 3pm.

Is there anything we can say or do to change this in the lease

Soldato
How old is the property? Not sure on the English regs but in Scotland in newer properties you need to provide a space for indoor clothes drying as well as the traditional outdoor space.

The health issue you mention is of course a valid point.

Tea Drinker
Don
I'd say approach the freeholder and ask them to change it however as a leaseholder has complained the likelihood of them changing the restrictive covenants for everyone is very slim and costly even if everyone agree let alone one person fighting it.

It'll probably be cheaper to buy and run a tumble dryer all year.

Soldato
OP
I'd say approach the freeholder and ask them to change it however as a leaseholder has complained the likelihood of them changing the restrictive covenants for everyone is very slim and costly even if everyone agree let alone one person fighting it.

It'll probably be cheaper to buy and run a tumble dryer all year.

I'm sure this is what will happen if webdid try and change it. I just think it's so ludicrous. Its some clothes drying in the warm sunshine.

This was our neighbours not us as they are ground floor. We use our balcony to dry oir clothes weather permitting. We've all been doing it for the 4 years we've been here. Looks like someone new has moved in and is being a proper **** about things.

Associate
Everyone has to share the communal areas so having clear rules on what is and isn't acceptible seems like a sensible precaution to avoid unnecesary friction.

Presumably everyone renting or buying has the opportunity to view the details before signing so I see no issue with this. For some I expect it is a bonus that the communal areas are kept washing free so that everyone can enjoy them. For those that have a problem with it, hopefully it gets mentioned at the time of viewing or signing and the management company is aware that there are those that oppose the restriction.

Unless people werent given access to the rules prior to this incident I see no problem here. However if the majority want to change the rules then hopefully the management company is willing to make changes to accomodate the will of the residents.

Soldato
Someone has complained that someone was drying clothes out in the sun on the communal garden area. Unbelievable!!

‘not to hang out or expose for airing or drying or for any other purpose any clothes or washing outside the demised flat’

We use our balcony to dry with a clothes drier as we get the sun from 8am to 3pm.

... is your balcony too, classified as 'outside' then ? (do you infer you need to stop too)

Soldato
OP
... is your balcony too, classified as 'outside' then ? (do you infer you need to stop too)

yes they have stipulated it's balconies too.

"If you rent out your flat can you please make your tenant aware that no washing can be placed on the communal grass on airers, it is not even allowed on balconies."

Having googled the **** out of this last night it seems it's really widespread in leases in blocks of flats. I had no idea it was a rule and I'd say very antiquated now. I want to dry my clothes in the sun I should be allowed to do so on my own balcony.

Soldato
Seems to me that the wording is outside of the demised flat. The balcony is within the demise of the flat as it is your property (it's an outside property, but still your demise as in nobody else is granted access to it). Outside of the demise would be communal areas.

Soldato
You need to check your lease, I know it can be common in leases to specify no laundry on the balcony. My friend has that in his lease and I'm sure the balcony is within the boundaries that he owns as per his lease.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yes they can fine you in all likelihood and if its in the lease you have to abide by it if the management company are willing to enforce it. If enough of you complain about it then you might get it changed but regardless of when the rules were put in place, they are still there.

I know its petty and seems stupid but if everyone put their clothes out in the communal area it would be unusable for some things. You can also imagine that people sticking their washing out over a balcony could make the whole block look a bit crappy. Its like most things, if one person does it with some thought for their neighbours its probably fine. If everyone does it or people don't consider anyone else, it starts to look a bit rubbish.

Soldato
Nanny state gone mad. I'd continue drying my clothes outside. It's better for a number of reasons including the environment as I bet they are expecting everyone to have tumble dryers.

Hate leasehold/property management companies. They are up there with estate agents and letting agents, bottom feeding scum.

Paying some company a yearly fee no doubt so they can tell you what you can and can't do. Absurd.

Back
Top Bottom