Complaints

Soldato
I have a 2.1 speaker set in my bedroom, and I like to listen to music with bass on. It isn't particularly loud or anything. You can hear the lyrics and stuff downstairs if you are listening for it, but since my living room is directly below my bedroom the bass is a huge problem, you can feel and hear it downstairs.

Is there any way I could play music with the bass on without it disturbing my mum?

Associate
You need to decouple the subwoofer from the floor ( and maybe the walls too dependant on construction of the house )

By decoupling you are going to lose some of the bass, but you can experiment to lessen the loss.

Try standing it on a folded bath towel as a first experiment ..... if that works then you can either buy decoupling feet or find more long term solution :) Thick carpet works wonders !!

Associate
just ignore the ones in the house complaning - i do (half of the time it must sound like theres war going on in my room when i play bf 2/bf2142).

but i would also like to know what is the best setup - i have 5.1 speakers the speakers on my desk and the sub under my desk which gives good sound but alongwith that complaines of "turn it down, all i can hear is thud thud thud"

Soldato
OP
Well, atm my bass is on my desk, and the edges of my desk and the wires keep it away from the walls so I can't do your first suggestion.

I've tried folding a pillow in half and placing it on that, which didn't work, I'll try it with a towel now though.

Seems to have worked. It's not as noticable. The floor/ceiling still vibrates a little, but the thumping downstairs isn't as noticable as it was before.

I've put two towels under it now, folded 4 times each, which has nearly deadenned it. :)

Soldato
OP
I was thinking exactly the same thing, but wondered how I'd do it.

I guess it would be possible wrapping the bottom in cling film or something then putting it on a floating piece of ice in water would work, but it'd be hard without making my room a freezer.

Soldato
OP
fraseredwards said:
use headphones ?

I do use headphones, I have Medusas that I use for gaming, but for listening to music with bass turned way up they're not so good. :p Plus I don't like having wires all over me when I move about.

Soldato
Spinal2k2 said:
just ignore the ones in the house complaning
Wow, good way to get on with people :rolleyes:

Fraggr said:
Well, atm my bass is on my desk, and the edges of my desk and the wires keep it away from the walls so I can't do your first suggestion.

I've tried folding a pillow in half and placing it on that, which didn't work, I'll try it with a towel now though.

Seems to have worked. It's not as noticable. The floor/ceiling still vibrates a little, but the thumping downstairs isn't as noticable as it was before.

I've put two towels under it now, folded 4 times each, which has nearly deadenned it. :)
Having it on the desk might not be helping matters, the bass is probably being transfered through the desk straight to the floor. Fitting some spikes to the sub might help (stick on ones), although they're not cheap. Or take up a few floorboards and fit some sort of sound proofing right under the sub, or under the desk if the sub has to go on the desk.

Or turn the bass down :p Most PC subs are way over the top and boomy. You're probably getting more bass than was ever intended by the artist/band.

Associate
fish99 said:
Well it doesn't look like a joke to me. Anyone else think it was a joke? (post #3)

well since i was also asking how to solve the problem aswell, if i wasnt joking i wouldnt of asked how to solve the problem.

Codmate said:
Nope - I just thought he was a tit.
was that even called for - do i go around calling u - maybe ill go around calling you in your posts.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wouldn't putting it on the desk instead of the floor reduce the vibration and make it less noisy downstairs?

I'll take a look at stick on spikes if they're not too expensive.

Soldato
Fraggr said:
Wouldn't putting it on the desk instead of the floor reduce the vibration and make it less noisy downstairs?
You're probably right. Your desk is connected rather solidly to the ground (even on carpet) through it's own weight, but most likely the spikes wouldn't do a better job than those towels you're using.

Spinal2k2 said:
well since i was also asking how to solve the problem aswell, if i wasnt joking i wouldnt of asked how to solve the problem.
Still doesn't look like a joke to me, but if that's how it was intended then fair enough. Maybe use smilies to make it more obvious next time?

Back
Top Bottom