Complete Career Change

Associate
Apologies if this is fragmented but hoping for some advice to get started. I'm 33 years old working in a management role where I have 0 job satisfaction, I've got to a point where it's just for the money and Friday cannot come quick enough.

I wish to transition into a trade, Carpentry more specifically. The idea of making something practical or building something is appealing to me and I have a friend whose in the trade, he's advised that if I can get a Carpentry CSCS card he could get me a job.

My question is what route do I need to take in order to make the first steps to completely moving jobs? I earn a decent amount right now and expect a drop in wages but I'm thinking to get started I still need to work but do something more on the side.

Associate
Being 34 and wanting a change in career myself i find the biggest hurdle is the potential lose in income. Also finding time to re train is the an issue to, as most of the training coursers for trades are usually during the day whilst i would be at work. I assume that it is the same for you? You could try writing to a few local firms in the trade you want to move into and ask about being taking on as a trainee, but i assume the pay would be little. My brother is currently training to become a driving instructor, he quit his job and lived off savings for a while whilst he found a job that work around his training. He said that it was the only way he would get out the rut he stuck in, in his old job role and was a risk he was willing to take.

Associate
I wish to transition into a trade, Carpentry more specifically. The idea of making something practical or building something is appealing to me and I have a friend whose in the trade, he's advised that if I can get a Carpentry CSCS card he could get me a job.

I’ve been out of construction for a few years, but I believe that to get a CSCS card you’ll need to get an NVQ (level 3 I think). They are evidence based, so you’ll need to build up the evidence as you are assessed.

I’d suggest speaking to a local technical college or the CITB as well as some local companies.

Associate
I'm 30 in 3 weeks and starting an adults apprenticeship in motor mechanics next week. I don't really have any savings so the drop in pay will be tough but It'll be worth it after the first couple of years.

Not sure what the process is with carpentry but I'd have a hunt for apprenticeships if you can, from what I've found they're no longer just for school leavers, employers are just looking for good people.

Back
Top Bottom