Completely erasing HDD's

Associate
Originally posted by Galifrey
low level format should wipe it all
Isn't this a last resort tactic on a dying hd? I've always heard that this should NOT be done on an already formatted HD, and that it can even do damage.

Can anyone shed the light on this?

Permabanned
Originally posted by Echo
Isn't this a last resort tactic on a dying hd? I've always heard that this should NOT be done on an already formatted HD, and that it can even do damage.

I've heard the same thing.. I personally wouldn't low-level format a HD except as a last ditch effort to get it working / usable.

Closed
Permabanned

It depends on the fdrive type. Generally not a good idea for for IDE drives but fine on SCSI and older drive types (ESDI, MFM, RLL etc).

Personally, I use PowerQuest's DataGone because when I want stuff deleted, it's because I need it deleted and I trust PowerQuest utilities.

nigelm

N

nigelm

We usually clear down the disk using PGP - downloadable and PGP wipe the disk 3 times, then open it up with a screwdriver and use the platter as a posh coffee mat!!!!

JimG

J

JimG

Newer drives wont actually 'low level format' the drive. The onboard BIOS will try and protect the drive from the user. Still doing BIOS formats os not recommended.

Soldato
Sometimes ive had to do multiple low level formats, and eventually its got rid of bad sectors/harddrive instability.

Thats how I fixed my deskstar 46gigger 75gxp anyhow.

Its worked on other harddrives also;)

Back
Top Bottom