Composite door quotes

Soldato
Just had a quote for a couple of exterior composite doors and wanted to see if the prices were reasonable
The doors in questions use a cross-laminated core (rather than foam that the cheaper doors use)

Front door in anthracite, no fancy extras, just normal chrome handles and letterbox, interior in white
this design
http://www.hallmarkharrogate.co.uk/doors/composite/

back door, chrome handles same colour as above in this design
https://buildmydoor.co.uk/home/atta...-glaze-supplied-and-installed-by-buildmydoor/

front door = £1145 inc VAT fitted
Back door = £945 inc VAT fitted

Do these sound about right ?

Soldato
They're about right prices for composite. I had one for an extra width gap with windows to each side and it cost about £1400 from memory. Mine was Solidor too.

Associate
If you don't mind second hand have a look on facebook market place or ebay. I got a composite door with frame, side window etc recently for £160....It cost him £1100 6 months ago!

I was just about to spend what you are on one and it's immaculate, there are some bargains out there if you look :)

Soldato
Sounds far more reasonable than the quote I got from Anglia a few years ago. They wanted over £3000 to replace my front door with a composite one. Nothing fancy either, just a design similar to the OPs. TBH we gave up on the idea as there's nothing specifically wrong with the door we have, other than potentially needing a lick of paint and some new seals.

Soldato
Yeah we got a quote from Euroseal along the same lines. Then they did the whole 'we can do you a price which is 30% lower but you have to sign now while I'm here', and the 'call manager who magically offers a better deal' con tricks.

By the time they'd tried both of those, I wouldn't have been buying from them even if their price hadn't been extortionate.

apg

apg

Associate
I had a new Solidor Tenby 2 with top box installed last month for £1400 and am very happy with the quality. Costly yes, but very heavy and robust door and gives me piece of mind about security.

Last edited:
Associate
Out of interest did any of you get wooden door quotes and what were they like. We’re waiting on some composite quotes currently and we had a wooden door with some windows in frame quoted on and they wanted £6.5k! Is that normal for wooden? Or were they taking the ****? I assumed it might be a bit more than composite but that was crazy

Soldato
I'm getting quotes for new wooden front doors at the moment. Door with side panel are approx' 154cm x 205 (WxH). First quote in is £4100 - which is meant to be solid oak, multi-point locking, finished (oiled) and installed.

Currently waiting on another and have another joinery firm to ring as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest did any of you get wooden door quotes and what were they like. We’re waiting on some composite quotes currently and we had a wooden door with some windows in frame quoted on and they wanted £6.5k! Is that normal for wooden? Or were they taking the ****? I assumed it might be a bit more than composite but that was crazy

It depends on what you're being quoted for, are they constructing a M&T Oak door themselves or puchasing a hardwood door (such as the XL Joinery range). If it's the later it's excessive, if it's the former and to a high standard then perhaps not.

Associate
I had a new Solidor Tenby 2 with top box installed last month for £1400 and am very happy with the quality. Costly yes, but very heavy and robust door and gives me piece of mind about security.

For most replacement doors it doesn't matter how good the locks/cylinders (multi-point and anti-pick pins/snap) or door construction is, as they are generally held in place by just 6 to 10 fixings (if you're lucky) which can be cut with ease.

This started happening 30 years ago when uPVC or aluminium doors/windows became more popular and I've seen numerous high security doors/windows and their frames laying on the ground otherwise intact. However in many cases its the side glazing or other ground floor window/door glazing panels that are easier to break or remove (i.e. break glass/blanking panel and remove internal beading and pane).

Composite doors look nice but are not the ultimate security feature the sales people claim. I've had this discussion when replacing doors/windows in my last 3 homes and the sales people have reluctantly had to agree. I take security very seriously but I spend wisely over all types of security.

Soldato
For most replacement doors it doesn't matter how good the locks/cylinders (multi-point and anti-pick pins/snap) or door construction is, as they are generally held in place by just 6 to 10 fixings (if you're lucky) which can be cut with ease.

This started happening 30 years ago when uPVC or aluminium doors/windows became more popular and I've seen numerous high security doors/windows and their frames laying on the ground otherwise intact. However in many cases its the side glazing or other ground floor window/door glazing panels that are easier to break or remove (i.e. break glass/blanking panel and remove internal beading and pane).

Composite doors look nice but are not the ultimate security feature the sales people claim. I've had this discussion when replacing doors/windows in my last 3 homes and the sales people have reluctantly had to agree. I take security very seriously but I spend wisely over all types of security.

Its rare a burglar is going around cutting through composite/pvc doors though, they go round the back and smash the "toughened" glass and gain entry in seconds.

Associate
Paid £895 inc vat for this before Xmas. About 1000 ish is about right, certinally arround where I live (York).

Dave

HHKKt9Qk8FDaPTtTR2U1ETcGGDlhAhm2qEXROa9OmWnuc-xdcubdZQ5VJVL132QmXTBPzpF8PqfTO8b8nVsFg7LgU8zenzqdQ918GQknS8eXPKIcQzcWjr_WKpzjIFF8EScmHRQ0Cfm5ENsF4RqbapwuAtuSt_t3KRa5pA5jTGufYHLns_ZxTO28iCsNeEQnF2YFOmgMssiaKwSPMcBeYtbApbEMpLdG2wuRRl_zs9NnSrz7OkYnyYLIU2fLkOWoQ5eLx4iIWtp2VFRH7teRz-wkrwfZzkJqldOMhjGE_oh4tnwkoMsr4VafzG_LOCBx2d7hU01nbPlIsdLJtFAf1n0qPb_ZVIXfD-SbeI3iQxs_aENWhGX9BCVxP_J2evWSi4eVORYhawq3Xth-Z1gw2mfIOCWDrGYrnKzFQ5DrQ_4VBTc_l783YKBhO4ZgXCi-4CAl0ZhakpAZPBTJvmtJqJzlku4pVQulh2UVjBSwZIqKh8eP4s-viTIqW0VsUBxBX6LTK4w7zMa5Jy3uLYGamb8Mrj0LyNHXhAtzZhjgf03uzvIpkmteHSw79hC-NTNGXVNZtJzSV6nHNMq8njUEwwwpa5C3sE7fiMilQwGDo0yXCb_6mdEt4slvQyoVkPUEQBLiRePutWYTtFxaRcl_T4ZJhOPdqc3G01hkUUlHYM10mkxlhkoikoE=w614-h937-no

Back
Top Bottom