Computer crashing confused.. help appreciated..

Games started crashing again for some reason, despite not fiddling inside my PC since I "fixed" it or installing new software that might start the crashes back up..

Although last few times I've tried to play the games that in the past froze my PC, my PC has restarted itself rather than freeze..

This give anyone a better clue as to what exactly the problem is?

Alright dude, just tried both sticks on their own in the first green DIMM slot and both ran games absolutely fine with no crashes... :confused:

Now I'm really confused.. why can't they work together?

As I said in my first post (I think) originally I had both sticks of RAM in the green slots (didn't realise at the time that this would mean they weren't running on dual-channel) and games were crashing. I switched to one green and one purple and games ran fine until yesterday.

Reading my motherboard manual I shouldn't run a stick of RAM in the purple DIMM slot without a stick in the green DIMM slot so that rules out trying two sticks in the two purple slots.. To run dual-channel I need one in the green and one in the purple which is what I had before...

Is it possible, maybe, just maybe, that the crashes I came across yesterday were just crashes in the game none-related to the problems I was suffering before?

(By the way, I found out that the compute restarting was down to me stopping 'cl.exe' from running in msconfig this morning :p..)

So I am going to shut down now and place both RAM sticks back in the PC (one green, one purple) and see how I go..

If games aren't crashing anymore, no problem. If they are.. what the hell is going on? :p :D

IwantanewPC said:
Alright dude, just tried both sticks on their own in the first green DIMM slot and both ran games absolutely fine with no crashes... :confused:

Now I'm really confused.. why can't they work together?

As I said in my first post (I think) originally I had both sticks of RAM in the green slots (didn't realise at the time that this would mean they weren't running on dual-channel) and games were crashing. I switched to one green and one purple and games ran fine until yesterday.

Reading my motherboard manual I shouldn't run a stick of RAM in the purple DIMM slot without a stick in the green DIMM slot so that rules out trying two sticks in the two purple slots.. To run dual-channel I need one in the green and one in the purple which is what I had before...

Is it possible, maybe, just maybe, that the crashes I came across yesterday were just crashes in the game none-related to the problems I was suffering before?

(By the way, I found out that the compute restarting was down to me stopping 'cl.exe' from running in msconfig this morning :p..)

So I am going to shut down now and place both RAM sticks back in the PC (one green, one purple) and see how I go..

If games aren't crashing anymore, no problem. If they are.. what the hell is going on? :p :D

That was me by the way on my mate's PC..

Anyway,

I've put the RAM sticks back in how they were before (purple and green) and I've had no crashes in games so far. The computer froze when I came out of the Sims 2 and then tried to load up CS Source (before it got in to the actual game) but that might have just been a general Windows freeze..

We'll see how it goes..

Last edited:
PC was running fine with games all of yesterday then I turn it on this morning and load up Counter Strike: Source.. I am in a game for about 5 mins before my PC randomly restarts...

Rather than start booting back up my monitor stays black and I hear beeping from my tower (the beep........... beep........ beep, which means RAM). I opened up my case and the RAM was seated fine yet I gave it a little push anyway. Booted back up and was just browsing the net and doing an online virus scan when it re-booted again, but this time no beeping.

Let it load up and managed to play Source for a good 45 mins with no crashing.

FFS I am so confused!

Useless, absolutely useless! Knew I should have got an Asus motherboard! I am just going to send it all back and buy a bloody gameboy. :mad:

So it is either a memory problem, or a mobo problem.

Try again running it with one stick of RAM only - if this works, then at least you have a functional PC.

To get a solution, you really need to be able to either:
a) Get other Dual channel RAM to run in your PC
b) Get someone to test your RAM in their PC

M

Okay mate, thanks for the reply.

What I am going to do now is leave it as it is and see if there are any other crashes. One more and I am going to just run one stick of RAM and see how it goes for a week or so.

If there are no crashes with 1 stick, what steps should I take then? Eventually by 2 sticks of 1gb RAM of a different brand?

The only problem is that these crashes and problems seem so bloody erratic that it's hard to track whether something is bloody fixed or not. Since buying I've thought 'seems to be fixed now' at least 5-6 times only for it go and crash later that day/next day etc.

Installed Pro Evolution Soccer 5 this morning and I tried to play it..

I put it at the highest resolution and started a game. I was playing for about 3-4 minutes before my PC restarted like it did yesterday with Source, only this time there was no beeping coming from my PC and it booted back up.

I tried PES5 again with the same resolution but this time no crash... :confused:

This was first thing in the morning when I had only just turned on my PC, same with the restart in Source yesterday. It's almost as if my PC needs some time to warm up or something but... I've never heard of anything like that before. :(

My PC restarting is a hell of a lot better than freezing though :D, but still... I'd just love to know what's wrong..

Back
Top Bottom