Computer Crashing During Games

Soldato
I bought a computer from Overclockers just over two years ago and it's been great, until the last couple of days, when playing F1 2017 and COD, the system then freezes, as per the picture and reboots.

I've updated everything, as per the Asus website,but, as I don't build my own computers anymore, I'm totally out of the loop and am not sure if it's the GPU letting everything down, or could it be something else?

20180126_233947.jpg

Windows 10 64bit
Asus STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
Basic 81 Prolimatech
ELITE BLACK 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3
Asus H81-Plus
Superflower Golden Green HX350W "80 plus gold"
PENTIUM K ANNIVERSARY G3258 @ 4G
Samsung Evo 250GB 850 SSD

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Soldato
Such graphics corruption hints quite a lot to graphics card.
They might have factory overclocked it little too much.
So dropping its clocks to reference GTX 960 would be one thing to try.
And drop away CPU overclocks.

Also despite of its image not all SuperFlowers have quality components.
Original Golden Green had quality capacitors but "updated" HX has cheap third tier C(r)apXons...
Which are also really badly placed for cooling so would be plausible those have reached design goal.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply mate.

I dropped the CPU to stock and underclocked the GPU but the problem has got worse. Sometimes the PC won't restart and when it does, the screen has the green lines all over them and I can't even reinstall the graphics driver now, so I'm stuck in 800x600 as well.

Not sure whether to try another graphics card first, or another psu, bearing in mind I'm not a heavy gamer.

Soldato
If you have a spare GPU to hand then swapping it out would be an ideal troubleshooting step looking at your image.

Try clearing the CMOS too - although make sure you have a profile saved within the BIOS with your settings.

Soldato
OP
Well I got another GPU and it's working fine now. There was some residue on the old GPU and I've no idea what it was, as the inside of the computer was very clean, no dust or anything.

Now I've just got the problem of the system restarting after I shut it down, either via Windows or manually.

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

Associate
Definitely GPU failure - before returning try upgrading or downgrading the drivers for it.

Might even be worth checking for a bios upgrade for it.

Back
Top Bottom