Computer Fair....?

Associate
I used to make regular visits to a local computer fair in Salisbury, but now I can't find any listings.

Does anyone know of any computer fairs held in Wiltshire, Hampshire or Dorset; south central england?

When was the last time anyone visited a Computer fair?

Soldato
I actually got my first PC from a computer fair, worked out a decent amount cheaper than anywhere else. Back then warranty wasn't really something people cared about.

This must have been umm 12 years ago? I remember seeing 3DMark 2000 running with a Geforce3 Titanium and immediately picked myself one up, best card I've ever owned. Morrowind pixel shading was the bomb :D

Soldato
I actually got my first PC from a computer fair, worked out a decent amount cheaper than anywhere else. Back then warranty wasn't really something people cared about.

This must have been umm 12 years ago? I remember seeing 3DMark 2000 running with a Geforce3 Titanium and immediately picked myself one up, best card I've ever owned. Morrowind pixel shading was the bomb :D

Would love to see that! Shame I was still a wee boy.

But as far as computer fairs go, I've never seen one run anywhere! Would love one here in Birmingham.

Soldato
I think there is one in Stratford every saturday.

I've never been there myself, but a colleague used to go. I sure there isn't much hype compared to what they used to be like, but i know you can pick up accessories for a decent amount.

Soldato
There's a frequent computer fair at a local sports centre here in Portsmouth - only been the once, back in the early days when a few nerds selling a full perspex case with Cold Cathode lights was the epitome of "Xtreme Modding"...

Things are a bit more organised and a local retailer who shall not be named (both because they're a competitor and because they're a bunch of yoghurts) quite often use the event to flog excess gear at a bargain price...

I think everything's organised through Facebonk - have a shufti:
http//m.facebook.com/pg/PortsmouthComputerFairs/events/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Soldato
The last time I visited a computer fair was well over 10 years ago. In the 90’s, computer fairs were the only way to get hardware that wasn’t via mail order or shops with an often crappy and over priced selection, the internet largely killed computer fair, online auctions and same/next day delivery services finished the job.

Soldato
The last time I visited a computer fair was well over 10 years ago. In the 90’s, computer fairs were the only way to get hardware that wasn’t via mail order or shops with an often crappy and over priced selection, the internet largely killed computer fair, online auctions and same/next day delivery services finished the job.
Used to got to Tottenham court road back in the 90s as a teen. Wonderful times.

Soldato
Definitely a waste of time and money these days.

Overpriced pre-builts. components about the same price as e-tailers or higher. Tat from ebay.

It might be all right if you don't know what you're doing and want to talk to someone.

£5 a person to get in, even for your wife who has no interest whatsoever.

Soldato
They were okay and useful years ago when you were building or upgrading your PC at the weekend and you realise you need an IDE cable or a molex converter and the PC shops were shut you could just pop along and get one, sometimes pick up a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom