• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

computer won't post, 1 long beep, 2 short beeps.

Associate
OP
A RX 6600XT?

Exactly which PSU do you have and how old is it? If the PSU is modular have you checked that the cables are fully seated in the PSU and have not come out slightly?
It's a cooler master 550, i've had it for years. It boots up with an old dx10 card. My second system has a stock crappy PSU and boots with the 6600xt no problem.

Soldato
It's a cooler master 550,

Again, exactly which Coolermaster 550? It's important: Coolermaster do and did good PSUs and bad PSUs.

Even if it's a good model, you might just be low on the wattage, especially as it's old. It might not be outputting full power. The RX 6600XT draws up to 160W before overclocking and your 5600G 80W. Add in 100W for your motherboard and peripherals and you're at 340W. Add in another 100W to cope with transient power spikes and you're at 440W - really quite close.

Soldato
It's a cooler master 550, i've had it for years. It boots up with an old dx10 card. My second system has a stock crappy PSU and boots with the 6600xt no problem.
Your not going to like this but your probably going to have to replace your PSU with something more modern and beefy. See my previous post on the first page.

6600XT's need a 12v rail with loads of amps. My old PSU was 550 and had one 12v rail with 28 amps and another rail with 24 and I couldn't boot up reliably (for reference my current Corsair Rm850 has around 70 amps on a single 12v rail, cost me money I didn't want to spend but I can't complain about it's performance). I don't know the technical reasons why new cards have started to throw a paddy at older PSUs but it's how it is I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Soldato
1 long beep, 2 short beeps
its been a hell of a long time but isn't that ram?
it could even be a bios error with the new GPU

what mother board do you have, then we can simply find the error sound info???

Last edited:
Soldato
dont be silly.... i run a 3090 on a 750w
550w a good one will power a 6600xt i had that GPU on a 520w golden green.
The 550 PSU I had was considered good when it was first introduced, high efficiency, stable rails, clean power delivery etc and fully complied with the standards of the time. Splitting the 12v rail was a standard practice for most PSU manufactures, it's only recently single fat 12v rails have become common place.

I ended up getting that over matched PSU because a) I was feed up of having this problems and her in doors was cutting up rough as she needed the computer for work and b) it was a B-grade PSU and was the same price as lower wattage brand new PSU's.

Soldato
Bios beeps have a purpose, we need to know the motherboard model.

If it beeps it’s probably old, and could do with a bios update if it’s not a prebuilt and the bios can be updated

Edit:
A silly one but your plugging in the gpu power cables ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1 long beep, 2 short beeps
its been a hell of a long time but isn't that ram?
it could even be a bios error with the new GPU

what mother board do you have, then we can simply find the error sound info???
Both machines are almost identical, both use a Aorus elite v2. Both use 16gb of Kingston fury beast Ram. Both use WD sn770 nvme.
My gaming rig has the rx6600xt with a r5 5600, and the back up machine has a r5 5600g.
On the back up rig it has a ****** old PSU but it booted the 6600xt first time.
I'm going to remove the cooler master psu today.

Associate
A guy on linus techtips had a similar problem. Not sure if it is relevant . . .
I know this thread is old, but I hope maybe it can help someone by responding here since it was on the front page of google search for "1 long beep 2 short". I tried everything. New RAM. New GPU. New power supply. (I had them all available to swap in luckily, didn't have to buy them) Nothing worked. Took everything apart. rebuilt the entire computer. Jiggled all the cables. Twice. Nothing. Switched from using a display port cable (1.4) to HDMI (2.1). Worked. Booted right up, no problems. Then used a new display port cable (1.4) and it worked just fine as well. It was my freaking cable.

Associate
OP
A guy on linus techtips had a similar problem. Not sure if it is relevant . . .
Thank you.

I forgot to say this isn't the first time I've had these post codes, it's happened a few times before but it always resolved itself so I largely ignored it. This is the first time it's totally failed to boot.

Associate
OP
Bios beeps have a purpose, we need to know the motherboard model.

If it beeps it’s probably old, and could do with a bios update if it’s not a prebuilt and the bios can be updated

Edit:
A silly one but your plugging in the gpu power cables ?
Yes, it's ran fine for ages. Gigabyte auros elite.

Associate
OP
Again, exactly which Coolermaster 550? It's important: Coolermaster do and did good PSUs and bad PSUs.

Even if it's a good model, you might just be low on the wattage, especially as it's old. It might not be outputting full power. The RX 6600XT draws up to 160W before overclocking and your 5600G 80W. Add in 100W for your motherboard and peripherals and you're at 340W. Add in another 100W to cope with transient power spikes and you're at 440W - really quite close.
It's a G550.

Associate
Edited: sorry those were Asus codes correct Gigabyte codes are below

• Single short beep – Indicates boot is proceeding normally, with no hardware errors.
  • Two short beeps: CMOS error, potentially in the battery built into the motherboard. A CMOS Reset usually fixes the problem, otherwise it changes the battery on the motherboard.

• One long beep followed by a short one: memory error. Check that the RAM is properly installed and that it works properly.
  • One long beep followed by two short: graphics card error. Check that it is properly installed and that you have connected the power cables.

• One long beep followed by nine short beep: memory error. In this case, it indicates that one of the installed modules is malfunctioning.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
DRIVER CAUGHT MODIFYING FREED POOL
MEMORY MANAGEMENT
KERNAL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
SYSTEM THIRD THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

I stripped it down, cleaned everything and put it back together. I never plugged in a monitor cable and it gave the same error code.
I plugged it a different HDMI cable and it posted but with a blue screen and the above error messages, there was a few more but I was fast enough to type them.

Soldato
It's a G550.

If that's a G550M then it's a decent unit but may be a decade old and really should be replaced. I looked at the Techpowerup review and noted:

That said, I didn't like the CapXon capacitors in the unit's secondary side. I would prefer Teapo caps, which are considered of higher quality, or better... Finally, the inrush current I measured was very high for a mid-capacity unit and should normally be below 40 A, a problem, however, that will most likely pass the majority of users by unnoticed.

Soldato
Yes, it's ran fine for ages. Gigabyte auros elite.

Yes but which one? :eek:

X570 AORUS ELITE, B550 AORUS ELITE, B650M AORUS ELITE, B650 AORUS ELITE, B450 AORUS ELITE, B450M AORUS ELITE, Z790 AORUS ELITE, Z790M AORUS ELITE, B760 AORUS ELITE, B760M AORUS ELITE, Z690 AORUS ELITE, Z690M AORUS ELITE, Z590 AORUS ELITE, B560M AORUS ELITE, Z490 AORUS ELITE, B460M AORUS ELITE or Z390 AORUS ELITE? :cry:

Associate
OP
Ok update.

I fitted a fresh SSD, removed my NVME and reinstalled windows. It ran fine on the crappy PSU with the graphics card installed.
I refitted the G550 and it won't boot, all I get is a quick blip of the fans so it's looking like a PSU fault all along.

I will probably need to reinstall windows to my NVME.

I removed the crappy old PSU and fitted it to the second machine and I'm using it now.

Any recommendations for a PSU?

Back
Top Bottom