Computer won't start, PSU click sound, fans spin for half a second.

Soldato
Wondered what peoples thoughts were on the following.

Last night my computer suddenly stopped, then was unable to reboot again. When I press the power button, all that happens is the PSU clicks once and the case and CPU cooler fans spin for half a second only.

The computer in question is the one in my signature, and it was built around 7 months ago and not been disturbed since. The computer ran stock with a slight undervolt on vcore and SOC voltages. The Quadro graphics card is a P620 that takes power from the motherboard only and only draws around 40w, I mention as expect peak wattage on the system is around 200w only.

With the power connected, I do have power from USB ports, I know this as I have a blue yeti microphone that is showing it's LED flashing. Also the orange light for the RJ45 is occasionally flashing, so motherboard has power before computer starts.

To diagnose the only things done so far was remove my Asus STX II, disconnect power from a DVD burner, and remove all USB leads, starting the computer was exactly the same with a single click from the PSU and fans spinning for half a second only. I have temporally removed the BIOS battery to reset BIOS but this again made no difference.

My thoughts at the moment, either the PSU has failed, or there is a short that's cutting the power. Does anyone have any other thoughts on what could have happened.

Soldato
Pop out all the PSU connectors, and try powering the PSU up by itself. You'll need a jumper wire or paperclip, look up the right pins to join up.

That will tell you if the PSU is dead but my gut feeling based on getting 5V while in standby, is something else has shorted.

Soldato
OP
Pop out all the PSU connectors, and try powering the PSU up by itself. You'll need a jumper wire or paperclip, look up the right pins to join up.

That will tell you if the PSU is dead but my gut feeling based on getting 5V while in standby, is something else has shorted.

Thanks for your reply, I have not done the paper test however have done the following.

1) First on the computer I removed all SATA power cables, leaving only motherboard cables, exactly the same bahavior when starting the computer.

2) I have a working 4th Intel i7 system that has a Seasonic X750 gold in it. I removed the Seasonic Titanium from the AMD system and installed this in the Intel i7 system, replacing it's existing Seasonic X750 gold. When I powered on the Intel i7 system (now with with the transplanted Seasonic Titanium), that computer has same behaviour as the AMD system, this being fans start for half a second only on startup, and the Seasonic Titanium clicks. My next step is to install the Seasonic X750 (from the Intel i7) into the AMD system to see if the AMD system will start.

Soldato
OP
Good news, I'm typing this from my AMD system!

I installed the Seasonic X750 gold into my AMD system (replacing the Seasonic Titanium), and the computer is working again. Given the Seasonic Titanium also does not work on the older i7 system, have to conclude the Seasonic Titanium is at fault. Little disappointed a high quality unit such as this has failed, but also glad it's not a motherboard / CPU issue that would have been far more trouble to resolve, will open an RMA with Seasonic.

EDIT.

Just reading Seasonics support page, it says if possible returns should be sent back to local shop if possible. Should I be contacting OCUK, or Seasonic about the return?

Soldato
If it's a recent purchase I'd certainly go with the retailer. If it were a number of years they might not be too helpful for the Seasonic extended warranty. But if it's still in the "normal" period then definitely start there :)

Soldato
OP
Thank you, the PSU was purchased Jan 2020, so about 2.5 years ago. It sat boxed for almost 2 years before being used on the build.

Man of Honour
Little disappointed a high quality unit such as this has failed, but also glad it's not a motherboard / CPU issue that would have been far more trouble to resolve, will open an RMA with Seasonic.

Unfortunately the high-end models don't seem to be any more reliable than the other models, but that's just anecdotal on my part.

Back
Top Bottom