Conductonaut for GPUs?

Associate
I am currently looking at getting a new thermal compound, and am intruiged by liquid metal options.

Appreciate that the difference in temperature is small compared to other, non-conductive alternatives, but at the price point it does sound appealing.

While I am confident enough to try this on a CPU, I have read different viewpoints with regards to replacing the stock compound on GPUs with liquid metal.

Anyone here using a liquid metal compound for their GPU?

Thanks,
Rich.

Associate
I always use Liquid Metal Ultra. Haven't tried Conductonaut yet, but people speak well of it, and it seems to marginally outperform Ultra in tests.

Soldato
Watercooling or high end heatsink it does make a difference. Low-midrange air coolers not so much. Blower style coolers you would be talking next to nothing.

However i used to use it on GPU's both aircooled and watercooled but to me its not worth the pain of taping up the smd's and the time consuming application + the risk for a few degrees.

Associate
OP
Watercooling or high end heatsink it does make a difference. Low-midrange air coolers not so much. Blower style coolers you would be talking next to nothing.

However i used to use it on GPU's both aircooled and watercooled but to me its not worth the pain of taping up the smd's and the time consuming application + the risk for a few degrees.

It would be for Alphacool Ice Wolf GPU Block... I am not sure I am confortable with my skills to try this on the GPU to start with, but after other posts on this forum regarding Kryonaught, not sure what the next best option is... Hydronaught?

I always use Liquid Metal Ultra. Haven't tried Conductonaut yet, but people speak well of it, and it seems to marginally outperform Ultra in tests.

Are you using this on your GPU, or just CPU?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Associate
It is a risk using it on GPU's but as long as you use a liquid insulator then you should be fine. But is it worth it for maybe 5 degree's difference?

Associate
OP
Hmm, risk vs reward ;)

I I get a liquid metal for the CPU, then still tempted to attempt it for the GPU.

Did I see someone recommend nail polish as an insulator?!

Soldato
I am currently looking at getting a new thermal compound, and am intruiged by liquid metal options.

Appreciate that the difference in temperature is small compared to other, non-conductive alternatives, but at the price point it does sound appealing.

While I am confident enough to try this on a CPU, I have read different viewpoints with regards to replacing the stock compound on GPUs with liquid metal.

Anyone here using a liquid metal compound for their GPU?

Thanks,
Rich.
As others have said, there is more risk using liquid metal TIM, it is way more expensive, it is harder to get a good heat transfer print with and at best temps will only be a couple degrees cooler. That's hway many of us don't even consider using it.

Back
Top Bottom