Configuring Cisco Switch

Associate
Hello..

I have just got a Cisco Switch. Model Number WS-C2912-XL-EN.

I have consoled into it ok but cant seem to be able to set and configuration options. I've been trying to follow the instructions on cisco.com but each time I try to set something it comes back with.

"Invalid input detected at '^' marker."

Is it broken or something not set right in terminal software?

Thanks.

Associate
No it means you've entered something that isn't a valid command

are you in the right mode (exec/priviliged mode)?

If you post the command you entered (including prompts> or #) and the output you may get a bit more help

(On second thought's it's broken post it to me pls :p )

Soldato
You're getting errors because those commands aren't valid.

If you want to see port status you'd need:

show interface (to see all ports) or
show interface fa0/1 (to see the status if FA0/1)

To open an interface, you'd do:

conf t
int fa0/1
no sh

In effect, you negate the interface being shut rather than opening it.

Soldato
Dave77 said:
Thanks Burbleflop, those work fine. Can you point out a command reference sheet I should be using? I am using the following URL which I assumed was correct but obviously not.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f1af.html

The configuration sheet your using is for the old 2900 which uses Catos which is a different switch altogether and uses set based commands.
The switch you have is an IOS switch which uses native commands

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c6ef7.html

This is one of the config guides for IOS and the basic commands should get you started.

Soldato
How would you like to configure it?

For simple operation, run the "Setup" command, you should go into this the first time you access it from the console if there isnt a startup config present on the switch.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help... I had no idea I was looking at the wrong info.. First thing I am going to do is reset it to factory default I think. It is has some previous configuration in it and i'd rather start from scratch.

Thanks.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom