Confirm my thinking..

Associate
OK, I'm going to sounds a bit nooby here probably, but want to check my thinking..

I currently run an Athlon 64 3700+ with some PC3200 RAM, as that is the highest stated RAM spec for my ASRock board. However I have a fairly tasty overclock on the FSB (For the stock cooler anyway), as you will see in the sig, which requires me to rein in the RAM else I can't boot (Run it set to 333 in BIOS as this results in near 400 in reality)

Am I right in thinking obtaining some higher rated sticks of RAM would allow me to unleash more of the FSB to the RAM, or are there other factors invilved that would prevent my from running higher rated RAM in my mobo?

Last edited:
Caporegime
A64 doesn't require a huge amount of RAM bandwidth to perform well, CPU speed is everything. You'd see little benefit in upgrading to expensive (especially now DDR is dying a slow death) RAM.

I used to really push DDR on my A64 system, but found running with the highest CPU clock and the memory on a divider and clocked slightly above PC3200 speeds worked perfectly and was a lot less hassle.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the tips, I'm now running with the following setup:

255Mhz.PNG

Any more and I get random reboots, temps are fine, guess it's a lack of volts, but it's maxed out in BIOS.

Soldato
Aaargh! must.. lower... timings... set.... command... rate... 1...

Sorry, it just have a thing about ram timings.

A64s respond well to low latencies, so get them as low as you can, if its budget ram 2.5-3-2-6 would be a good target

Associate
OP
I am running with 4x512 and I just loosened all the timing to eliminate any instability they would bring to the new clock.. I'll get on the tightening now ;) Although, even without a clock I can't take 1T.. just fails to POST using Crucial Value Selects

Associate
OP
OK, gotten tighter.. seems stable in Windows and with a Pi test.. not tried any games or the like yet however.. seems to be a bit over the top from where I was so I'm expecting problems.. the reduction to 2CAS in paticualr seems a bit cheeky..

250Mhz.PNG

Soldato
Try knocking your multi to 10.5 and pushing the fsb so you achive the same final clock speed on the cpu but this in turn will push the ram a bit further.. assuming the Ram can go >200mhz

Soldato
should be able to move it downwards.. assume motherboard is not capable of it :( o well mate - its not that important :)

good luck with the overclock dude

ta

alec

Associate
OP
allllec said:
should be able to move it downwards.. assume motherboard is not capable of it :( o well mate - its not that important :)

good luck with the overclock dude

ta

alec

Well the options are certainly there, but I'm sure I tried once and it ignored me.. will try again though just to be certain.

Associate
OP
Well, I was able to boot with 270 on the FSB, however it rebooted the moment it hit Windows. Dropped this to 266 and could get in long enough to take a screen shot, but Opera then started reporting errors and eventually the OS locked. Continued to drop to around 258 but was still unstable, so I figured it was better to stick with 11x and 200Mhz on the RAM.
I'm presuming the problem is mainly going to be the heat in the RAM chips, perhaps a spot fan would allow me to make these higher speeds stable?
Or maybe I should put the CAS back to the registered 2.5?? Of course it could be I'm just asking too much of my budget sticks.

I've gone back to my 250Mhz @ 11x for now, and left it running folding@home today to see if the tightened timings can hold out.

266Mhz.PNG

Last edited:
Associate
It would be nice to see a completed Super pi, you are only doing some loops out of 24 for 32M calculation, no final result ;)

Back
Top Bottom