Confusing Apple Purchase Sharing Options With Family

Soldato
As title, I'm trying to get apple purchase sharing working, but also each member of the family has their own card details - yet, apple requires a 'family purchases' card as well.

There is only me & my mum & dad, we all have our own apple devices.

I tried to add 'additional payment options' in the settings but nothing happened at all, it only kept the default card, I tried as the account admin to add ANOTHER purchase option card in payments (my dads card), but then it replaced mine!

So, how can I have all of us purchase stuff on our OWN cards, yet can also share stuff, or more simply, leave my card as the 'default' family purchase card but then ALSO if they wanted to, buy stuff on their own cards - seems a nightmare and i can't figure it out.

Of course all accounts are set to 'adult admin' status so it should work?

Associate
In my experience you can't. Once you join a family all purchases are changed to the main family organiser. Even reoccuring subscriptions (my wife's extra icloud space) transferred over and get billed to me since we joined family sharing with no way of changing it.

Commissario
I run a family account which is used by me, my wife and two kids (although they're in their twenties). I pay for extra iCloud space which is automatically shared between the family and Apple Music which we can all use. If they want to buy anything then it comes off my card and they just send me the readies. I don't think there's any other way to do it.

The nice thing is that if any of us pay for apps, the rest of us can use them.

Back
Top Bottom