connect to my linux server from uni?

Lex

Lex

Associate
I'm using a linux computer running ubuntu as the OS. I'm using a bt adsl modem box in my house and i wish to connect to the server from my uni through the modem.

Other users have their workstations connected to my adsl modem. So does anyone know how i can do this?

beh

beh

Associate
Assuming you have port 22 open on your uni connection you could simply ssh in with putty? If you don't have a static IP at home you could use something like no-ip.com or another dynamic dns service.

For what purpose do you need to connect to your home computer for? tunnelling?

Is it just a modem and not a router that you have at home?

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
sorry you lost me with "simply ssh in with putty." I am using this service because i am designing a final project and dont want to lug my server into uni. I just want to connect from my house. I know its possible but someone said i must tell the modem router to forward to the server via mac address. Is there an easier way?

Associate
I am slightly confused by your post, but am I right in thinking that you want to be able to access your linux box from your computer at uni?

If so, what you'll need to do, as described by the previous poster, is to forward port 22 (or whatever port you are using) on your router for your linux box. It's unlikely that you'll be able to do this without actually being physically there or at least getting someone else to do it for you.

With port 22 forwarded, you'll be able to login directly into your linux box (via ssh which you may have to install) and have a terminal like you would at home.

P.s Are you running any sort of GUI on it?

Man of Honour
Lex said:
Other users have their workstations connected to my adsl modem. So does anyone know how i can do this?
is it a multi-port modem/router or do they connect via your pc? I thought standard BT adsl modems didn't have routing capabilities, that's why I had to replace mine with a modem/router before I could do what you're after doing.

If it is a modem/router (or if you replace your bt modem with one) there should be some sort of "port forwarding" page so you can tell any connections on port xx to be forwarded to a specific ip address (ie your pc).

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
riddlermarc said:
is it a multi-port modem/router or do they connect via your pc? I thought standard BT adsl modems didn't have routing capabilities, that's why I had to replace mine with a modem/router before I could do what you're after doing.

If it is a modem/router (or if you replace your bt modem with one) there should be some sort of "port forwarding" page so you can tell any connections on port xx to be forwarded to a specific ip address (ie your pc).

sorry i was being slightly ambiguous to say the least. just to clarify i wish to connect to my linux box FROM uni. I am using ubuntu on m linux box but wish to access my plone site which has its own http protocol.

i have a 4 port modem/router that i bought as bt didnt supply me with one.

does this help?

Caporegime
Port forwarding might not be too easy, as the router may well be using port 80 for it's internal webserver, so it might not let you forward that port. You could forward an alternative port. 81 should be fine.

Man of Honour
vonhelmet said:
Port forwarding might not be too easy, as the router may well be using port 80 for it's internal webserver, so it might not let you forward that port. You could forward an alternative port. 81 should be fine.
Quite often you can (and should) change the port that the router listens to for it's internal webserver, helps to prevent hacking and also leaves :80 available for normal use :)

Back
Top Bottom