Connecting power supplies together?

Soldato
Not sure where to ask this on the forums but I know the Retro guys in this section like to fiddle with stuff, and this is actually primarily retro related. I will explain what I want to do and throw it open for ideas, do's, don'ts, REALLY don'ts and the "are you mads?"

My dream retro setup is to cobble together several old mobos and cases so I have a separate DOS machine, Win98 machine, XP machine and a modern Windows 10 machine which will only be used for streaming to a Steam Deck, and have them all on a bench next to each other. The novelty I have in mind is that all this PC hardware already has water cooling blocks for the cpus and gpus, and I wanted to supply this from a single pump, res and radiator which connects these four PC's in series, with quick disconnects where needed. So basically one big loop which weaves it's way through each PC, with the actual pump, res and radiator including fans separate to this. It'll only ever be cooling one PC at a time so in theory should work.

The way I imagine it working is that whenever I switch any one of the PC's it will also somehow power the pump and fans, and all stop when that PC is switched off. From the googling I have done I get the feeling that there may be problems with simply connecting all the grounds together on the separate power supplies, and then running a 12v line from each PC to the pump, I imagine in parallel. From what I can gather there will be ground loops and so forth, and it generally sounds electrically dodgy, especially if two PC's happen to get switched on at the same time.

My other idea is to have a completely separate PSU for the pump and rad fans which is permanently on, but with the pump/fans controlled via a relay or relays, which are then controlled by each PC, so when one of them switches on it closes the relay and sends power to the pump. I think this would be the most electrically isolated option, but sounds elaborate.

Has anyone ever tried to do anything remotely like this, or done anything with connecting power supplies together and knows what the issues are etc? Or if anyone has any other ideas on how to achieve what it is I am describing then give us a shout.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I know in crypto mining they use multiple power supplies to power one motherboard and lots of graphics cards, a similar setup to that might work but would need further investigation. Some of guys in the crypto forum might be able to help and I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos on it as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes those are some of the examples I've seen on YT, they seem to focus on bunching cheaper power supplies together as a cheaper alternative to one big power supply, so it can be done for sure. I did a bit more looking at relays and that may end up being easier for for I want to do. I knew it was a long shot as it is a pretty out there set up I have in mind.

Soldato
The simplest way to set this up would be a PSU (either atx with a jumper or something from an electronics store with 230v input and 12v output) and a switch for the watercooling.

The general idea of having the WC equipment sperate to the pc used to be a "thing" years ago. Search for "radbox" or "rad box"

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The thing in this case is more to do with the radbox supply 4 separate pc in series. I should also point out that because one of the pcs is going to be a streaming pc which will wake on LAN, it will obviously all need to switch on unattended. If I was going to be in the room all the time it would be much easier to just flick the switch on the radbox psu as you describe.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
You could plug the water cooling PSU into a smart plug and combine it with IFTTT, so when the PC turns on and connects to the internet the smart plug turns on etc

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think I have sussed it. It is actually quite simple, was probably over-thinking it. Based on the rad box principle with the difference being I can toggle between the pump power coming from either the streaming pc PSU or a 12 wall plug transformer. It would default to be powered by the stream PC so will switch on whenever that wakes up on the LAN. And when I want to use any of the other PC's I would manually toggle the switch and it would be powered by the wall plug. I reckon I could improve it with some relays so I don't have to remember to toggle the switch, but this is so simple and all that is needed really, with nothing electrically connected where it shouldn't be. Posting this thread has helped me figure this out for what I want to do. All this comes of never selling or throwing away any PC gear or water cooling bits and pieces over the years, and a years long urge finally build a proper retro setup and have it all water cooled.

ISKvj0j.png

Back
Top Bottom