Connecting to garden office

Associate
Hi

Finally got a garden office built and the wife wants to work from there. I've not done this before but is the following setup OK:

Router to Dlink Switch
Patch Leads from switch to CAT 6A wall socket
CAT 6A cables then run to a CAT 6A patch panel in office.
Patch leads from patch panel to various 6A sockets in room i.e. one for PC, TV .

I'm going to have 3 runs of CAT 6A cable going to office.

I could have done one continuous run of cable/s from the house to the wall sockets in the office but thought it would be easier to replace or fix if i had any problems in the future.

Thanks for any help/advice
Cheers
S

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You'll need a switch at either end.

A patch panel isn't connected to anything other than what you punch-down behind it, as it were. If you've got 2 cables running from your Dlink switch, then you'll only be able to connect 2 devices without a switch on the other end too.

In other words, forget the patch panel unless you're going to run 16+ cables from the main house to the garden. Stick 1 swtich in the house and 1 switch in the office with a single Cat 6 between (more if your switch supports port aggregation and you want higher throughput).

Don
Just use cat5e/cat6. cat6a is so thick. Termination time goes from about 1 minute per cable to nearer 4 minutes per cable.

Run spares.

You could just do 2x runs to the office, then have a switch.

Associate
various 6A sockets in room i.e. one for PC, TV
could you elaborate on the tv part (hdmi over ethernet doesn't use switches, its direct IIRC)?

and are the cables to the 'office' being buried?

Soldato
2 runs to the office, one of which for backup, switch either end and if you want to get fancy patchpanel + sockets in the garden office.

Associate
OP
Hi

The TV in the office is a smart TV so I just want to be able to get Amazon/Netflix stuff like that. The only other device to run is the wife's laptop.

The CAT 6A cable is external is run through a conduit buried underground.

OK, so if i've got this correct:

Option 1

Router to Switch
Switch to Cat 6a wall socket via 1 patch lead.
Wall socket to office switch via Cat 6a cable (run 2/3 cables for spares)
Office switch to TV and wife's laptop via patch leads.

with Option one, could i not just go straight from the router to the Cat 6a socket missing out the switch at the house end. I'd only need a switch at the office end then?

Option 2

Router to Cat 6a socket (got a quad socket) using 3 patch leads
Run 3 Cat 6a cables to garden office and connect to patch panel.
Patch panel to office sockets via patch leads.

Would option 2 be faster than option 1?

Thanks again.

Soldato
Unless you've already got the cable I wouldn't bother with Cat6a, isn't worth the additional hassle.

Option 1 - Yes you can connect directly to the router. The only reason you'd need a switch at the house end is if you need the additional network ports.

Option 2 - For the usage described there'd be no speed advantage.

I can't see any reason to run more than one spare cable, but cable is cheap.

Associate
OP
Hi

Thanks

Yea, cable is already in ground. The patch leads are in the walls in the office and ready to connect. I've bought a patch panel and a Dlink switch as i've run out of ports on my router. Thought i might as well use the patch panel as I'd have to resell it.

Cheers for the help. Time to get the drill out now and tried not to damage the brick work.

S

Don
The way I would do it for a handful of cables..

In the office, put a 4 way loaded faceplate in, right next to your 'uplink' cable from the house.

http://www.netstoredirect.com/cat6a...-faceplates.html#/145-no_of_modules-4_modules

Then put 1 or 2 way loaded faceplates on where you want the data. You wouldn't run patch leads in the wall, just cable between these faceplates. Then patch leads from the wall ports to the switch/devices.

--

You could use a patch panel, and just stick all the uplink cables on one side and the output on the other, this way if you're not using a switch, you just loop them together using tiny patch leads.

Back
Top Bottom