Connecting to XBLive using netbook at uni

Associate
I'm living in uni halls at the moment, and wireless internet is included for 'free'. The network is unsecured, but to get online with it you need to register to the service through http://www.studentcom.co.uk/. Even though I'm registered, I have to wait for about 1-2mins after connecting to the network before web pages will start appearing. After that it's as normal. There's an option under account settings to add up to 2 more devices to the profile so that I could also use the connection on my pc, console or phone (by adding the MAC address of each device as needed). I've done this for my netbook and my pc.

Now the confusing part is what to do for my Xbox. I've tried following a guide on youtube for connecting to xbox live using my netbook (connecting the xbox to it with an ethernet cable) and bridging the wireless connection with the lan connection of the xbox. I did everything the tutorial asked but still was unable to connect to xboxlive. One error suggested changing the MTU to a required number, which I did.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I added my Xbox's MAC code to the internet account and set it to 'gaming', but it hasn't helped. Maybe I need to change the netbooks MAC to gaming instead?

I understand that this post may be a bit vague or confusing, but any info that you may need to figure out where the problem lies, I'll try my best to provide. I really don't want to spend £50 on a wireless adaptor when I already have two in my room to begin with that cost about half that price combined.

Thanks

Associate
You can share the connection with XP, but for me it didnt work until I got Comodo Firewall.
Vista you can just share the connection regardless I think, you can also just bridge the connection

Associate
OP
Im going to find someone from IT tomorrow hopefully and ask whats up. I doubt xblive is blocked otherwise there wouldn't be an option for 'gaming' under account settings. Speeds are limited to 60kb/s down though.. not quite sure what the up speed is. I have windows 7 on my pc, and windows xp on my netbook. As I said, I've tried both by bridging the connection with no luck. I'll look for the internet sharing option and see if it's turned on tomorrow.

If I don't have this sorted in time for Modern Warefare 2, I'll be crying myself to sleep at night. (well, I won't be happy :p)

Associate
USed to have that problem at my halls what i did was change the mac address on my xbox to match that of my pc then log onto the netwoirk with my pc as i needed to log on using a browser then swap over the network cable to my xbox then it worked. try that one, IT support jusit told me that the xbox wouldnt work on the network.

Associate
USed to have that problem at my halls what i did was change the mac address on my xbox to match that of my pc then log onto the netwoirk with my pc as i needed to log on using a browser then swap over the network cable to my xbox then it worked. try that one, IT support jusit told me that the xbox wouldnt work on the network.

how'd you change the XBox MAC?

Associate
OP
I've tried everything I can think of now.. it seems to be coming down to the MTU setting not being right.. that's the common error that I keep getting when I run the Xbox Live test. I've just bought a belkin wireless g gaming adaptor (xbox 360 compatible), but it's giving me the same problems. Sucks :(

Back
Top Bottom