Connection drops

Associate
As you gather by the title i keep getting disconnnections from the internet.The funny thing is that i'm getting them a certain time around 20:50 in the evening and the internet just disconnects.The fault has been reported to Eclipse a couple of times and they seem to blaming my end all the time and its getting very frustrated as it has only happened since i upgraded to 8 meg max with them

I have a netgear DG632 router has anyone got any ideas

Permabanned
It sounds like the same problem I'm having - my ADSL drops sometime after 8pm, due to the SNR margin falling too low to stay connected. I am currently in the middle of trying to get my ISP to (get BT to) sort it out.

Soldato
This is one of the posible problems with maxadsl, when you are out of the initial 10 day training period.. Eclipse are right when they say it's your end, but really they should make more of an effort to help you resolve the problem.

There's only a few, relatively minor, things you can try:

1.. Change you adsl filter/splitter for a good quality one.
2.. Reduce the amount of internal wiring between the phone socket and the adsl modem/router.
3.. Plug the router into the BT master socket, if it's not already.
4.. Remove any surge protectors on the phone line. This one helped me get the SNR up enough to get the full 8Mb..

You could try a different adsl modem, but in my limited experience it's not helped the disconnection problem - only help to sync at a slightly higher rate and still disconnect :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well i will be going straight back to 2meg asap don't think i'll be allowed to go back to 2meg with Eclipse so i'll be looking for a 2 meg unlimited connection for my online gaming.ADSL max is a rip off slow speeds in day and highish speeds at night with disconnections what sort of service is that pretty poor in my book and all they do like Eclipse has said to me its your end not our problem but sorry wake up as the customer pays for a service without customers no business

Soldato
I am with Eclipse I have also experienced loads of disconnections over the last few days, especially around 9pm.

To be honest Eclipse are not very good anymore IMO. It alwys someone elses fault however it often turns out to be them from my personal experience. I am trying to migrate.

Caporegime
Third Opinion said:
It alwys someone elses fault however it often turns out to be them from my personal experience.

If you're experiencing synch loss, it's hardly Eclipse's fault, given they've got no direct control over what happens between your modem and the BTw kit hiding in your exchange. You'll see exactly the same with any BTw ISP.

The automated DLM should step in if your connection's unstable, but in the event it doesn't, Eclipse (or any other ISP) could offer to enable interleaving and/or turn up your target SNR margin (but AFAIK the latter's a manual process, so I'd imagine BTw are loathe to do it, and ISPs are typically weak at pushing for solutions).
If neither of those fix it, any ISP should offer a regrade back to a non-Max service. There's no extra cost to them, other than the regrade fee.

loonyone said:
all they do like Eclipse has said to me its your end not our problem

If you won't go through some basic troubleshooting steps, then it most probably is your end.
The vast majority of sync loss issues, especially with Max, are dodgy end user wiring picking up interference from all sorts of things. Without eliminating your kit and internal wiring, looking for a solution is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

If you want 100% stability, then a service which achieves maximum speed isn't the best move you'll ever make.

Permabanned
HangTime said:
Yeah - could well be due to streetlights coming on at that time. You may find it starts happening a little earlier as the days draw in.

Hmm that wouldn't be good then - no net after 4pm in a few months' time :/

As I speak my SNR margin has improved, and also my download speeds have doubled - I'm now on the dizzy heights of 512kbps :o So perhaps it has been fixed. I'll find out tonight. It was the same crap last night though and I see from my router log that it was disconnecting regularly right up until 5.32am. Perhaps that is when the street lights go off :rolleyes: (rolleyes not at you but at ADSL)

Associate
im with eclipse and get about 10-20 drops a night if gaming, about 5-10 if just browsing / downloading. Im on the old unlimited package but im moving house currently and will be subbing to Nildram. Had enough of Eclipse. As has already been said, they used to be good, now they just suck. Their tech support are full of false promises and do not impress me at all.

Permabanned
Hmm no improvement for me - it was on/off all night again until 6.45am this time, 73 minutes later than yesterday. I am waiting to hear back from Freedom2Surf's technical dept.

Associate
I've been struggling with a dodgy MaxDSL connection recently. After a lot of pushing Eclipse finally got BTw to reset my high SNR margin of 12dB, and since then I've been syncing at 2300-3000kbps (which seems like an awfully high range). I'm still stuck at a BRAS cap of 1152kbs though, as *apparently* my router syncs occasionally below the limit for 2mbit (I've never seen this happen, and I check the sync regularly.) Have asked for more info, as I think it sounds a bit fishy to me, and this isnt the first time Eclipse have tried to palm me off....

Permabanned
Well my ISP reckon they got BT to run checks on my line and they didn't find any faults. So my two options are to put up with it or be regraded to a fixed 1Mb speed. I have chosen the latter and it is meant to be done within 5 working days. Hopefully I will at least have a stable, albeit not very fast service now.

Back
Top Bottom