• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe above 3.6Ghz is USELESS for games on current tech

Soldato
Durzel said:
Core @ 800? Not sure where that's come from? :) Highest I can get on stock voltages is around the 685 mark, any more and lockups are a factor.

That's my point though? If games are going to be progressively more like the sort of graphics 3DMark06 is rendering (e.g. Crysis, Alan Wake, etc) then it stands to reason that I'm going to be GPU-limited. I might as well just run the CPU at 3.6Ghz then?
Well you could do if you want to, but what about games that are cpu limited? Surely its better having a 4.1ghz conroe rather than a 3.6ghz one.

Soldato
OP
"Better" is a state of mind though really.

If phase cooling was as quiet, risk free and cheap as air cooling then we'd all have it.

My point really was that I was expecting a significant jump in my 3DMark score commensurate with the 700Mhz increase in clockspeed, when in reality it's practically unchanged.

All things considered would you spend a few hundred pounds for a cooling solution that is quite noisy by most air/water cooling standards, when as far as you can see there is no tangible benefit in the latest games?

I'm going to try running the HL2:Lost Coast timedemos tonight at 4.3Ghz and 3.6Ghz, and if there is no real difference then I think I'm going to be looking more seriously into water-cooling!

Caporegime
Durzel said:
My point really was that I was expecting a significant jump in my 3DMark score commensurate with the 700Mhz increase in clockspeed, when in reality it's practically unchanged!

Durzel wtf! 3DMARK06 is GPU LIMITED and has been for the last... almost a year now? How the chuff can you expect a large jump in score by overclocking the CPU on a GPU-dependant benchmark?!?!?!?!? Have you never used 3DMARK 06 before or do you know nothing about it?

Come on man this is proper noobified stuff... really basic and common knowledge... not at all news or anything new... i'm really surprised at this. :confused:

Rich.

Soldato
Do you have farcry to test your system on by any chance?! I can always remember this being a heavily cpu limited game even at 1600x1200. This may clear a few things up.

Also testing whether overclocking a cpu will effect a benchmark that is heavily GPU limited is a tad odd especially as the thread title has games in it and not benchmarks.

Soldato
Richdog said:
Durzel wtf! 3DMARK06 is GPU LIMITED and has been for the last... almost a year now? How the chuff can you expect a large jump in score by overclocking the CPU on a GPU-dependant benchmark?!?!?!?!? Have you never used 3DMARK 06 before or do you know nothing about it?

Come on man this is proper noobified stuff... really basic and common knowledge... not at all news or anything new... i'm really surprised at this. :confused:

Rich.

Doesn't 06 give an individual cpu score? Maybe he's referring to this as opposed to the overall score.

Caporegime
smit101 said:
Doesn't 06 give an individual cpu score? Maybe he's referring to this as opposed to the overall score.

Hmm I took his posts to be referring to the overall 3DMARK 06 score as a whole... that's what the context is in.

Last edited:
Soldato
smit101 said:
From the screens on the first page, his individual cpu scores increase significantly from 3.6 to 4.3 ghz.

Soldato
Durzel said:
"Better" is a state of mind though really.

If phase cooling was as quiet, risk free and cheap as air cooling then we'd all have it.

My point really was that I was expecting a significant jump in my 3DMark score commensurate with the 700Mhz increase in clockspeed, when in reality it's practically unchanged.

All things considered would you spend a few hundred pounds for a cooling solution that is quite noisy by most air/water cooling standards, when as far as you can see there is no tangible benefit in the latest games?

I'm going to try running the HL2:Lost Coast timedemos tonight at 4.3Ghz and 3.6Ghz, and if there is no real difference then I think I'm going to be looking more seriously into water-cooling!

you don't go phase change to increase frame rates for gaming.

it's really for benching or like any hobby just another toy for the collection but there's only so much cpu power needed to drive games.

like i said on the first page when G80/R600 are released you will probably get some small benefit from the extra cpu grunt especially if you're driving a multi gpu setup, but still nothing like moving from 1->2 GPU...... which you already have right now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom