Conroe motherboard - ABIT AW8D Motherboard

Soldato
Looking at one of these boards but with a few of getting a cheap non conroe chip to tie me over till money is better for a conroe chip.

Any thoughts?

Associate
Mikey said:
Looking at one of these boards but with a few of getting a cheap non conroe chip to tie me over till money is better for a conroe chip.

Any thoughts?

not conroe ready that board

TREE said:
get the gigabyte ga-g1975x turbo , according to tech support its going to have Conroe support with some new bios.

no bios makes a board conroe ready, thats the bios for the newer revison board when it comes.

Soldato
OP
Oops misread things then. Any other thoughts then. I haven't looked at the hardware market for ages (proliant servers - more my thing) in the past I had great stability from Abit boards. Abit AB9

Any recs?

Soldato
OP
Ah well time for some further reading.

Basically selling my ST20G5 shuttle as i think it's crap and sticking with my company laptop.. So looks like for some further reading.

Don
fenderbass86 said:
Man you're just buying everything! A whole new Xtreme system, a Celeron if i'm not mistaken, and now the Gigabyte DS4! Was the Intel Bad Axe no good then?

Bad Axe I'm not sure will work... I'm going to see if it does.... if not then RMA it, then use the gigabyte one, if that does not work I'm going to hang myself...

I'm going to run both motherboard to see which is the faster then I'm going to use the fasters... the Cely is to test to see if its the processor thats not working

Stelly

Associate
Heh great minds think alike Stelly.. i changed my order from the Bad Axe to the DS4 a couple of days ago and now it has all arrived, the DS4 looks excellent! Now i just need my processor.

Associate
james32 said:
no bios makes a board conroe ready, thats the bios for the newer revison board when it comes.

actually if the motherboard already supports the lower voltages required to run the conroe then i think you will find otherwise, and from the range of voltage options on the gigabyte board i would not be surprised if it did. However if you want to clarify that go and ask Gigabyte support and see what they say.

Soldato
I took delivery of a DS4 this morning.
I'm now just waiting on stock of the CPU's to appear and then I can build my Conroe system.
The DS4 looks nicely made and it looks well featured as well.

I've been a Gigabyte user for the past three motherboards I've owned.

Associate
Iv used a number of brands for my past motherboards and so far before the release of Gigabyte's new boards id have said Asus have the highest quality. However with the new p965 boards from gigabyte using all solid capacitors my view has changed. However if the big G has cut corners else where is yet to be seen, but im sure thats unlikey.

enjoy the board bud.

Soldato
OP
Have to say I like the look of the Gigabyte board so my initial plan is to get this board and the other bits and pieces. Get a 2nd hand 775 P4 CPU and then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom